Forum home Garden design

Creating symmetry in 2 new flower beds

I've attached a drawing of my garden which I am currently re-landscaping and would love some recommendations for plants please. The garden is approx 12ft x 17ft, west facing with acidic soil. I have got rid of the awful grass lawn and skinny borders and am replacing it with two larger borders and a slate path and seating area which is shaded in in the diagram. 

I'm now trying to chose the plants and am struggling to visualise it all. The right hand wall and the bottom wall are both about 3ft so I want to limit the height of plants there to about 3.5ft max. However the left hand wall is next to the pathway to the house and reduces in height as it goes, from about 1.5ft down to about 9in. 

I'd prefer to go with a traditional plan with evergreen shrubs at the rear and smaller plants in front etc. But the problem I'm having is trying to get some sort of balance between the shrubs on the left and shrubs on the right. I don't need them to be identical but I'm concerned that if I chose a large variety of shrubs it will all just look like a mish-mash without any harmony between the two beds. I think I would find it so much easier if both walls were the same height but I can't change this.

I'm inclined to go for an informal/cottage garden look. I'm not exactly a novice gardener but in all previous gardens I just inherited established beds and added bits and pieces here and there as I went along.

I would appreciate any advice about how to create a balance please, particularly with the evergreen shrubs. (Please ignore the extra dotted lines, that was a previous plan but I've run out of paper.) Thank you.

• B3B3 Posts: 15,805
    Is the path already laid?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • WoostieWoostie Posts: 33
    @B3, the path is not laid yet but has been dug out.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,065
    What happens at the end of the path? Dead end or gateway?
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,674
    edited June 2020
    There was a post on here with a lovely photo of similar garden to yours and they had put in a zig zag path it looked very effective. Will see if I can find it.
    @WillDB, it's just a dead end. I know it might look a bit odd but obviously I need the path for access for weeding etc. I'm hoping to find some item to put there to make it look not quite so strange but that can wait. 
    I think you need to redesign the path rather than having it going straight up the middle of your garden
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,674
    No @AnniD. But thanks 
    Just been trying to find it but no joy.
    It had a small zig zag path and ended with a wall at the end where they had a seat. 
    @K67 and @AnniD. Thank you. A seat at the end of the path could be the answer. I'd love to see that if you manage to find it. Thank you :smiley:

@B3. Personally I'm quite happy with the path as it is as it suits my needs. Yes, it might look odd on paper but in reality it looks fine. What alternative would you suggest?
    edited June 2020
    If it looks good in reality, I have nothing to offer except that perhaps I wouldn't finish the path so much to the middle of the garden.😊  maybe have a fork in the path