Forum home Wildlife gardening

Fungus ID please

PoppypussPoppypuss LancashirePosts: 69
Hi. Hoping a fungiphile out there may be able to ID this for me. The stems are very red and the underside / spores bright yellow. Thought it might be a bolete if some kind? It’s in groups in a border near to an acer and also a blue cedar near by if that helps. I’ve left some but removed these as they were right next to the acer. 

• PoppypussPoppypuss LancashirePosts: 69
    Poppypuss said:
    Hi. Hoping a fungiphile out there may be able to ID this for me. The stems are very red and the underside / spores bright yellow. Thought it might be a bolete if some kind? It’s in groups in a border near to an acer and also a blue cedar near by if that helps. I’ve left some but removed these as they were right next to the acer. 

Oh well I suppose this isn’t the right forum for fungus stuff. Not to worry I’ll take this one elsewhere😁
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,069
    Do you feel you have been ignored Poppypuss?  have you @Treeface ?  Sometimes there is no-one who can help with a post and I'm not sure it would be useful for a dozen people to post that they had no idea.

I hope you have some success with a more specific forum Poppypuss  :)
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,964
    I'm an old poster in both senses of the word. Some of my questions don't get answered, but I don't feel I'm being ignored. I assume that nobody knows the answer or that I posted it at the wrong time to catch someone who did.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Hi folks it’s not an issue I don’t feel ignored! This forum is so good with the info that it’s not surprising it’s now my ‘go to’ resource. Now I’ve got a grumpy teenager who won’t clean his room so if there’s any help with that it would be amazing. ....
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,964
    Tell him you found the fungus in his room, sprouting out of something he values. Sock drawer wouldn't do it. @Poppypuss
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,631
    Posts are getting buried two pages down within the hour at times at the moment. It's nothing personal just lots of traffic and hard for anyone to keep up with it all. I can't help with the fungi either though sorry, just keep them away from the teenager, you know what they're like ;)
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    It’s quite possibly a red cracked bolete - boletus chrysenteron.  Specimen is a touch past it so can’t be sure.  But a common mushroom.    If you have a young one, take the head off, pop it on a piece of paper under a bowl for a day or so and you should get an olive brown spore print. 
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,619
    Possibly White-cracking Bolete - Boletus Porosporus.
    Haha fungus in his room @B3 I like your style! Given he thinks mushrooms are the devils food it just might work 🙄. 
    @Helix many thanks for your suggestion, I’ve just googled and yes this could be the one. 👍. I’ve not got young ones but the tip to get a spore pattern is great, I’ll give it a go the next time something emerges. Thanks again all.