Forum home Garden design

perennials resistant to slugs

I am so fed up with slugs! who isn't I hear you all say...
Anyone have a list of plants that slugs just don't bother with?

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,638
    Linaria is supposed to taste foul to slugs. Bushy salvias, erigeron, heucheras
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,853
    I've found that they haven't bothered the following  in my garden......Rose's, astrantia, hydrangea, fuchsia, sweet William, broom, iris, hardy geraniums, crocosamia, sangasorbia, veronica, Bowles mauve, erigeron, verbascum.......
  • 2 point 42 point 4 Posts: 60
    In my garden, as Fire and Mary’s list above plus, ajuga, paeony, hemerocallis, penstemon and sedum/hylotelephium.
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,079
    I don’t plant many plants that slugs love 
    The only ones I have are some perennial lobelia but they leave them alone normally 
    All the other plants I have don’t seem to be on their menu including

Phlox
    Geraniums
    Potentilla
    Heuchera
    Crocosmia 
    Caryopteris 
    Shasta Daisy 
    Day Lilly 
    Rudbeckia 
    Geums 
    Agapanthus 
    Nepata 
    Euphorbia 

So quite a lot to pick from 
  • maggiemew1maggiemew1 Posts: 35
    thank you Mary and Fire. I have some of those you mentioned but not Linaria ( just googled it,  it is beautiful) nor Erigeron nor Sanguisorba . Maybe if there is a lot of linaria about the slugs might be repelled! Thanks again
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,638
    Agree with the above - sweet William, iris, hardy geraniums, wall flowers. Plus woodruff, ox eyes, alchemilla, feverfew. My diascia and nemesia seem ok too this year. They are sold as annuals but mine (in London) come back year after year.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,783
    @maggiemew1. I have a lot of linaria and plently of slugs. I don't think they're a repellent😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,279
    It depends what type of slugs you have.(No, I am not joking!) Recent invasions of slugs from other climes have shown themselves happy to eat most of the plants on the lists above. Even when they leave the leaves alone, they gobble up the flowers. I have had a terrible problem with a type known as Spanish slugs and have found the only effective way to deal with them is to pick them off the plants at night. It's a total pain in the bum, but it works, I have lupins and delphiniums and all sorts, thriving, now.
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 459
    Frustratingly the only area of my garden where I notice any slug damage is in the greenhouse but that’s only the occasional seedling. That’s also the only place where I don’t have much wildlife (or the right sort 🙄) I do think encouraging wildlife and not using slug pellets can help - if you use the latter then you wont get the predators and will never reach a natural equilibrium.

It probably also depends on your local conditions as we all seem to have such different experiences. I grow a lot of the plants listed including lupins. I did temporarily lose one lupin in the garden to slugs but they didn’t  bother with it when it reshooted.
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    In my experience, they won't eat anything aromatic.  But maybe that's because most aromatic plants like dry heat, and slugs like cool damp shade, so they just don't meet.