Forum home Tools and techniques

Long handled bulb planter advise please ?

Having just purchased bulbs online, (and forgotten to claim the discount available to us,derrrrrrr!) I thought I'd see if anyone knows if the magazine has run a study on long handled bulb planters.  Does anyone know please ?
I thought I'd buy a stainless steel one but thought it best to seek advice before placing my order.
I very much look forward to feedback !
Thank you all in advance :smile:
Zelda

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 30,535
    I have one and I love it. Not only do I use it for planting bulbs, but I use it for making planting holes for small perennial plants. It really saves my back from too much bending.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 942
    I bought a posh stainless steel can't remember the exact brand to plant about 2000 bulbs. Now I'm a big guy and used it with enthusiasm but it only managed about a third before the foot lugs just bent totally out of shape. This was replaced and the same thing happened twice more. I then bought a much cheaper planter made of standard steel and painted and it has held together manfully since 
  • Thank you both, ladybird and Wilderbeast.  I'm really surprised by your result Wildebeest, that was what I had in mind buying, thinking it'd last longer and stay less rusty etc, but that's why I asked the question, thank you !  Ladybird can you tell me the make of your please or if it's a posh stainless steel one or one of the cheaper brands.  Thanking you both again !

Hi Zelda. Mine is a stainless steel one and is made by Joseph Bentley. It wasn't cheap as I recall.
  • Thank you Ladybird.  I've got some of their tools and they feel nice in my hand, but no good if they don't last.  I'll have to check as I thought much of their stuff holds a life time guarantee and then if it bends they should replace.  I'll do some checks.  How many years have you had yours may I ask Ladybird, I appreciate you may only be able to give a rough estimate.  Thank you both so much ! 
    Hello again Zelda. I think I've had mine for 4-5 years. It is very sturdy and works well for me. I have no signs whatever of it bending. The handle is very ergonomic. I have a fairly heavy clay soil and it goes through that no bother.
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 942
    @zeldaglasspell Mrs Wilderbeast confirms that ours was a Kent and Stowe it had a lifetime guarantee and the GC happily exchanged i
  • Thank you again Wilderbeast, Mrs Wilderbeast and Ladybird.  I really appreciate you all taking the time and trouble to help me :)

Now I'd better get the ground prep'd a bit more so that when the bulbs arrive I can rock on.
    Happy Gardening !

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,380
    late to the party on this one but I have a sneeboer one - not cheap but very sturdy.  Had it about 10 years and use it every autumn.  Still as good as new ✨
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Hello Chicky,  Thank you for your feedback.  I've not heard of Sneeboer.  Must appreciate your input.  Decisions decisions now :)