Forum home Plants

Geranium question

KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,651
Two questions about Geraniums;

1) My Geranium magnificum only repeat flowers if I cut it back hard after the first flowering.  Is there any need to deadhead after the first flowering, if I am going to cut it back anyway, or does this increase the number of flowers in the second flowering?

2) Geranium oxonianum: I've read this is very vigorous, and we have it in a trough which contains it.  I'd like to move some into a planting bed, but don't want it to take over.  I was thinking of cutting a hole in the base of a large plastic plant pot, and sinking this into the ground to contain the roots.  Has anyone tried this, or any other techniques.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,505
    Oxonianum takes over by seed more than root. 
    Never had any success with magnificum reflowering but the leaves turned a beautiful red later in the season
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,651
    Hello @nutcutlet  Haven't heard from you in ages, hope you're well.  In that case, I will just plant a small clump directly into the ground, and be prepared to lift and divide if it gets too big.  I am religious about deadheading it, and find this quite therapeutic, so only a slight chance of self-seeding.