Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can I plant tulips seeds in the spring / summer

Hello all. 

Beginner here. 

A few months ago some colourful blue tulip seeds caught my eye online and I ordered them. 

Unfortunately when they came, they came with no instructions whatsoever, not even the name of the tulip. 

The label just reads "Pure Blue Tulip". 

I have never grown tulips from seed before and I am finding some contradictory information online. 

Based on the fact that I don't know the exact type of tulip I am dealing with, I am just going to assume your run-of-the-mill type and ask what time of the year it's best to sow....~

Any advice very appreciated! 

Thank you 
Growing a pink garden, one plant at a time....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888
    "blue tulips seeds"??? Did you buy them on ebay?
    I've never heard of such a thing
    Devon.
  • I bought them on amazon! 
    Obviously dodgy haha! 
    But I am holding them right here in my hand, and the label reads Blue Tupli Seeds! 
    So either I am complete mug and wasted £2.99 (no big deal), or I have something quite rare haha! 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,568
    Sorry Alex,  l suspect that if you sow them, whatever comes up won't be tulips ! You may as well sow them now and see what appears. Can you post a photo of them ? Someone may be able to identify what they are.
  • PyraPyra Posts: 152
    Could they be crocus? They look like small tulips, and some come in colours quite similar to blue, lots of nice purples. 
    At least it's only £3 if they're duds! 
  • @AnniD - good idea. I'll post a picture. Give me two minutes. 
  • @pyra88
    maybe! But it does say TULIP on the label... 
    I am so silly! Haha. 
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Did they come from China via Amazon? They could be anything.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• @Lyn
    I am afraid they did and I suspect you may be right! Haha! 
    I am just wondering whether or not to plant them at all, and if so, which month!! Haha
  • Here's the picture...
    Does anyone have a clue?? 
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Could be cress seeds could be some weed, sow the in a tray, not wild in the garden see what comes, We may be able to identify when they grow, or if 😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.