Forum home The potting shed

Plastic Pots

I have far, far too many clean plastic pots of all sizes.  Any suggestion of how to get rid/pass on?  Thanks

• nick615nick615 Posts: 574
    If you have a FeeAd paper in your region, put a line in that, or offer them to a local garden centre - maybe where they came from in the first place.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,791
    I saw someone actually buying them in a garden centre. So there must be people about who could use them.
    I tidied mine the other day ( no forum).  Considering each plant they came  with cost on average £3-4, I was afraid to calculate what I must have spent on plants over the years and that's not even counting the numerous large pots 😲
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    I had trouble a few years ago  buying new plastic pots in a garden center, seemed like the concept of needing plastic pots to grow things in is going out of fashion, easy to order online though. Ended up blagging a load of used ones at another garden center though and used them again this year, would never give them away.

People around here often put spare pots outside for people passing, usually with a nominal price such as £3 for ten or what have you.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,360
    Wen we moved here we brought a whole trailer full of plants in pots of all sorts of sizes but when it came time to pot on seedlings and cuttings and divisions the following spring I was strapped for pots and couldn't find the sizes I needed in local GCs.   

Had to vist about a dozen on 4 or 5 local areas before I found any so now I sort and stack and even occasionally clean them.   Oddly tho, it was much easier to find assorted sizes and shapes of peat or coir pots for seeds.   Broken plastic pots and trays go to the recycling centre.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,791
    I found several with various interesting fuzzy beings attached to them. Stacked them still attached. Hope whatever emerges aren't pests.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Offer them on Freecycle, Freegle, or Trash Nothing.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,295
    Another vote for Freecycle  :)