Forum home Garden design

Weed membrane question

Hi everyone. We have a large area that is overgrown at the minute. We are starting to clear it and have bought some weed membrane. We want to put the membrane down asap so the weeds don't come back. However, we are unsure on the type of pebbles or stones we want to lay - also cannot afford to buy them right now. Will the membrane ruin or rot by the weather if nothing is placed on it within a few weeks? 

• a1154a1154 Posts: 826
    Depends if you bought some nice heavy duty stuff, or if you went to the pound shop. 
    I have some of the former, uncovered and it’s weather proof, been there about 5 years. Sun doesn’t harm it. It does fray, so you need to fold the edges under.  Also careful to not lay it on sharp stones or even upright twigs etc. and you need to weigh it down carefully or it will fly off. Oh and mice and voles can make holes. 
  • Yes it was heavy duty. We wanted to buy decent stuff. We are going to clear it then flatten the area as much as we can - making sure there are no twigs etc sticking up. We have got some pins to stick in it, probably put something else on the edges too? Just in case? Thanks for the reply!
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 826
    I haven’t used the pins, so don’t know what they are like. I’d definitely weigh it down round the edges, and some in the middle, with lengths of wood, something like that. If it’s very windy it may rip where you have put the pins in otherwise.
  • berginjim5berginjim5 Posts: 46
    a1154 said:
    I haven’t used the pins, so don’t know what they are like. I’d definitely weigh it down round the edges, and some in the middle, with lengths of wood, something like that. If it’s very windy it may rip where you have put the pins in otherwise.
    I know you have already bought it ,but I always use geotex , use some old bits of paving to to hold it down for now if you have them.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,804
    Any material that excludes light would stop weeds from growing...even a few layers of cardboard would to the job for a while or an old carpet and then you can lay the membrane down when ready. Just think if you want to plant anything in that ground in the near future as any permanent barrier has an adverse effect on the health of the soil. But if it will remain graveled for ever more...no worries. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow