Forum home Fruit & veg

Watermelon

Sabina13Sabina13 Posts: 113
I planted watermelon seeds 3 weeks ago and they're up and growing. It just occured to me, I may have sown them really late. 

So then ofcourse 'newgardeners panic' set in :neutral:

I cant recall the variety name but they are a small watermelon - can be held in one hand - sized. 

I'm curious to hearing the consensus amongst us here :smile: will they grow and crop fine (and reach maturity) or have I cut it really close? 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,454
    Presumably you have a greenhouse or polytunnel?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Sabina13Sabina13 Posts: 113
    No... but I'm down south so I think it's ok? 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,538
    edited 4 June
    I don't think it's too late if they are already growing but it really depends more on how the rest of the year goes, weatherwise.  I grew 'Fascino' last year and got 3 grapefruit-sized fruit from 2 plants in a greenhouse.  I'm using the left-over seeds from last year's packet and am growing them again - photo of mine below, just taken, if it helps.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Amazing, thank you so much bob, that picture is very helpful! Mine look pretty much exactly the same :smile: 

Even 1 fruit, will make me happy haha. 
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 835
    Looking back I can see that last time I grew them (2018) I planted them into the greenhouse on the 27th May, at a similar size to the one above. I got one fruit per plant
    They were around 1.5kg each and tasted great so good luck with yours. Not sure why I have not grown it again to be honest. I have sown seeds from the other melons in the photo this year, maybe I will get some more Fascino seeds for next year.

Oh how beautiful skandi! I found my seed packet and I'm growing sugar baby which has a 75 day maturity so I've got everything crossed.

I'm glad to hear you'll be growing watermelon again next year, it's so delicious!