Forum home Fruit & veg

vertical strawberry planters

REMF33REMF33 Posts: 376
Has anyone grown strawberries like this? I have a bare, very sturdy, new, mesh (security? It belongs to the school field my garden backs onto) fence at the bottom of the garden, and would like to hang something off it to grow strawberries in. There are lots of pocket-type planters on the market (like the things you put shoes in and hang on the back of a door inside) but I was wondering if they are any good. (Just because people sell something, doesn't mean it works, alas, as I found out with my strawberry pyramid... :open_mouth: ) I love the idea of the Wondwerwall system, but not sure if this will work with a mesh fence.

• REMF33REMF33 Posts: 376
    Ok. I do have strawberries in boxes and pots. I didn't think they needed a lot of depth... but they have it in all but one box which is only 7 or 8 inches deep. They always seem to get eaten... and not by me! I am pretty sure its woodlice, although I know this is a contentious issue. So having them elevated was appealing, plus it's a boring old fence that I hoped could have dual use.
  • SkylarksSkylarks East MidlandsPosts: 379
    I did look into those wall hanging pockets end of last year. I wasn’t convinced they’d be deep enough. There’s also stackable strawberry pots that I’d forgotten about. Thanks for reminding me to have a look at them. 
    I think the Wonderwall might work (and it's self watering) vis a vis strawberries but not sure if it will go on the fence. I looked at the stackable ones too...
    Chris Bowers web site says 1.5l of compost per plant. https://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/article/strawberry-plants-in-pots-containers/
    I might just order some strawberries aynway, although I am having a slight compost crisis now :o (as in down to last bag and no one having any for click and collect round here - avoiding shops. Some on order though, so fingers crossed.)