Forum home Fruit & veg

Garlic

Pulled all my garlic today, sown end of November.
Best crop I've ever had.
Can some be held back for planting in winter?
I've read good & bad about using cloves from a previous crop.

Thanks

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,446
    Wow - what a harvest!!  Well done!!  Love using fresh garlic pre-dried in salads.   I have lost my crop this year - yellowed with black spotty leaves - could be too much rain.  I sow on the shortest day (21 December) and will reap on the longest (21 June) - what there is of it.  Sob. Sob!!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• DaffydillyDaffydilly North LancashirePosts: 78
    When I had allotment I used to plant some of last years bulbs with success.  Make sure they are in good condition and plant the largest of the crop in Autumn.   I also had success with growing potatoes from skins old potatoes that were sprouting!   We  should all experiment a bit more ;)
    Here, there and everywhere
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,177
    We also pulled up our garlic this morning. Some very fine bulb with many cloves.
    We had in the past used shop garlic to get a crop going and also used some from that years harvest.
    Really can't remember if they produced a better crop but still worth a go.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,293
    My garlic is nowhere near done yet, I wait for about half the leaves to turn yellow before pulling it out.
    Yes you can save it for planting, pick the best bulbs and put them to one side somewhere cool and more importantly dry. I've been saving mine for 4 years now, going well.
  • Treeface said:
    Looking pretty good. How did you choose when to harvest them? 
    Few reasons really. They started to fall over probably because of drought. I had them on a sort of roof garden and if I water too much the roof leaks. Also I like the greens in salads. Finally, I wanted the space for something else.
    Last year I pulled them at the end of June and even though I sowed at the same time they were much smaller.