Forum home The potting shed

RHS Level 2 Theory - advice on studying alone

Hello! 

I've seen past discussions about the RHS Level 2 Theory courses and a couple of people mentioned studying independently. I can't afford to pay for the courses so I am considering teaching myself and would really appreciate advice from anyone who has taken the theory exams before. 

Are there any books that you can recommend please? 
Any advice regarding how to prepare for the exams in general?

Thank you  :)

Frances

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,053
    edited 25 May
    Hello Frances  :)
    I think @LG_ and @neilbradburn may have done this course, hopefully they can help you with some information. I think there are also online videos available. 
    Good luck !
  • francesm224francesm224 Posts: 4
    Thank you, @AnniD:)
  • SlumSlum Posts: 306
    I did the course through self study. I printed off the syllabus from the RHS website and worked through it making notes on each area using mostly this book and the rhs website. I then did all the past papers and marked them myself using the mark schemes and examiner’s reports. I did all 4 exams on the same day. Don’t underestimate the amount of time it will take you to do this. 

Whether you go the same route depends on how you feel about self learning. There are all sorts of websites suggesting revision techniques for students to try. 
  • francesm224francesm224 Posts: 4
    Thank you for your help, @Slum !
  • VeasVeas Posts: 7
    I did the same with self learning and past papers. I also acquired a few great books, however i feel that not one was able to cover all the material required well enough. There was a lot of searching to do. 
    Vivian 
     :) 
    I am now creating a study guide / revision guide compiling all my research. Would anyone like a copy of that ? 
    Vivian 
  • @Veas thank you that’s so kind of you! I’d really appreciate it if you are happy to share :)
    edited 19 September
    @francesm224
    When is your next exam - February ?  and which one are you doing ? Are you starting with R2101 ?  i will release the notes one module at a time as they will take quite a bit of effort to prepare :smiley: 
    Vivian 
  • Hello everyone, I am currently studying the RHS level 2 as well, I am on the first module as I only started a few months ago. Having a study partner even on here would be good!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,099
    I don't know if you're aware @Veas, but adverts on this site have to be paid for, so if you intend selling these 'modules' you'll need to contact the media company who run it. 
    The details are at the bottom of the page :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....