Forum home Fruit & veg

Lost Marmande Tomatoes

alanbeealanbee DurhamPosts: 21
Being new to gardening and prone to mistakes, I've just made a big one! I seeded some Marmande Tomatoes late March, brought them on and finally potted them into 12" pots and put them outside last week. Yesterday along came the gale force winds and they're destroyed (lesson learnt). My question, is it too late for me to seed some more and start again or is it too late in the season? We live in Durham if that makes any difference.

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,666
    Never grown Marmande alanbee but aren't they a fairly early variety?  I would give it a go if you have somewhere nice and warm for them to germinate (Durham can be chilly even in May ) and don't be in a rush to get them outside until they are ready.
    Haven't been anywhere for over three months but I'm here and I'm mostly happy
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 807
    How destroyed? If they have snapped off then take the tops and plant them like a cutting in damp compost. they will root and give you a head start on any new seedlings (it is getting a bit late yes) The bottoms will likely regrow as well, you'll be a couple of weeks behind but better than a couple of months!
  • alanbeealanbee DurhamPosts: 21
    They're not snapped off. Just look withered up. See photo?
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 321
    They're just a bit burnt on the bottoms.  The top may be OK. Give them a drink and tell them how beautiful they are.  I don't think all is lost.  Tomatoes are great auto-repairers.  
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,429
    You put them outside far too early, did you harden them off.  I grew marmande last year had a very good crop, they arent doing so well this year, (they were planted out today, and we are in the SE UK fairly near the sea, mild) My cherry toms sowed at the same time look much better and have their first truss.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 807
    Those will almost certainly recover, keep them out of the wind, and preferably out of direct sun for a week or so, give them a good drink and they will bounce back.