Forum home Tools and techniques

Apple tree fruiting

Hi, I've got an apple tree in a pot - was planted bare root winter before last so is in its second summer with me.  Each year I've pulled the blossom off so it can't fruit to direct its energy into establishing.  I've just spotted that I missed one this year - there's a little apple forming.  can I leave it and have just one, can I? Huh? Can I? Pretty please?!imageimageimage or will it undo all my good behaviour?

Also, my new plan is get it into the ground this autumn.  Should I also leave it for a year or too after doing so before allowing it to fruit? How long?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,933

It's in its second summer with you and presumably it had a summer or two before you bought it? Go on, enjoy.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

Ooooh thanks!  My first home grown apple!  I'll let it grow!  Birds better not try anything image That apple has my name on.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,933

I know the feelingimage. I have a mini peach tree with six peaches on it. First one due for picking any day now.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hello. We planted our apple tree early this year and it has now it has finished flowering. It looks like it has loads of fruit buds forming and when I say loads it looks like there is one wherever there was a flower. Now I don't know whether (a) these are indeed going to be apples and (b) if they are how long should I wait before I know. If they do turn out to be future apples how many should I leave on the tree. It is its first year so I don't want to drain it of its virality too soon. Thank you.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,809
    In/around June fruit trees perform what is called ‘the June Drop’ and many/most of the fruitlets will appear on the ground.  After that the gardener can decide how many fruit he will remove as he/she wants a young tree to concentrate on growth not fruiting. 

If you really must, you could let it produce just one apple  for the first two or three years, but if your head is able to rule your heart you’ll remove them all this year. 
    Sorry 😢 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    It's called "delayed gratification".