Forum home Problem solving

Amelanchier issues

kaybee7kaybee7 Midlothian, ScotlandPosts: 4
I have had an Amelanchier (lamarkii "ballerina, I think) for about five years and has always flowered and produced berries. However, this year the flowers were there in bud and then turned brown and therefore did not open, and as a consequence no leaves either. My only other observation is that apart from the very wet weather earlier, the tree has always stayed very spindly.
Any suggestions? I tried emailing the supplier, but I expect they are too busy to answer.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,682
    There seems to be a lot of people on this forum that grow this tree/shrub. Hopefully they can share their experiences with you right now. Maybe post a photo of it now so we can see the base, and the branches.

If you have seen no leaves, it's not really great news. The mention of flowers forming and then drying up suggests a lack of water to me. There has been a lot of dry weather and warm weather followed by short bursts of heavy rain, but in my opinion, not enough to keep shrubs and trees happy, especially younger trees that has less reserves. 
  • kaybee7kaybee7 Midlothian, ScotlandPosts: 4
    Thanks Borderline. I do have a couple of photos for you to see, we have been watering regularly during the hot weather, its just surprising as its been fine all this time.
  • kaybee7kaybee7 Midlothian, ScotlandPosts: 4

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,682
    Thanks for the photos, hopefully someone will offer their opinions soon.

I think at this moment in time, you wait. It's a young looking plant, and the flowers may have been damaged by fluctuations in temperatures. This can happen when it's so warm and the flowers form fast but then a cold night ruins the tender growth.

Not sure on your soil conditions, but I think you need to keep up with the watering. 2 buckets of water every 3 days when temperatures are so warm. Continue to do that throughout the summer months and easing off in autumn. Hopefully your tree will leaf up soon. It really sounds like a watering issue. 
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 2,035
    I would just add also to check the tie on the post and make sure it's not too tight.