Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Weed? Identification please

NanniemoNanniemo Posts: 226
Can anyone identify this plant, it has a small white flower & I assume it’s a weed

• berardeberarde Posts: 147

Species information

Category

Statistics

Height: up to 1m

Conservation status

Common.

When to see

May to October

About

"white campion is a common wildflower that grows in fields, along hedgerows and roadside verges, and on waste ground. It flowers throughout the summer, but it's actually at night when the blooms produce a heady scent, attracting many feeding moths.
    White campion is often a perennial plant, which means it can live for a number of years, growing again each spring; but it can also be a short-lived annual or biennial."

I think it is white campion. Grows wild; I have red campion , just one plant. It seeds but thet are easy to pull out. a very long flowering season and good for insects, so I am happy with it. I can't count the petals, but campion has 5 deeply notched petals, nearly double petals
  • NanniemoNanniemo Posts: 226
    Thank you @berarde, I wasn’t sure if it was white campion but I also posted on another garden site & others have suggested the same. I am going to keep it at the moment & thank you for taking the trouble to reply 🙂
  • berardeberarde Posts: 147
    you're very welcome Nanniemo, helping and being helped is what it's all about!