Forum home The potting shed

Night sky with no planes

B3B3 Posts: 18,989
Very bright star / planet NNE 10.00pm?
Fast moving object directly north to south. Was it a satellite?
Tried google, but they want me to accept cookies etc. Wondered if anyone here could identify

In London. Keen but lazy.

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,116
    SpaceX Starlink possibly. I got a few of them when trying to photograph the Lyrid meteor shower last week.
  • Venus is extremely bright at the moment, but in the West in the evening. Have you got your bearings right?
    How fast wast the object moving, and how bright? A satellite will taken several minutes to cross the sky.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,146
    The sky with no planes is so amazing. I'm already grieving the time when they all come back.

Venus is incredible at the moment.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,355
    I have been looking at it tonight, together with the moon nearby. Beautiful. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,989
    No definitely NNE. The back of our house faces slightly more north than the object.
    Cant see the west from here. Very frustrating when you know there's a beautiful sunset behind the houses. My next house will have a West facing window!
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,615
    We see loads of satelites here. The bonus of being on the edge of a dark sky reserve. They don't tend to be very bright though.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
    The satellite wasn't particularly bright. I just noticed it because it was travelling very fast in an NS direction. The planes back in the olden days tended to travel E to W unless it was some rich 'person' heading for Biggin Hill
    That must've been it. Thanks @Alan Clark2 in Liverpool. Any idea about the bright star?
  • Vega was in the NE at that time, about 20 degrees elevation. It is one of the brightest stars in the sky.