Forum home The potting shed

Broad bean happy memories

WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,255
I've grown broad beans for the 1st since I was a nipper, it's brought back really happy memories. My dad grew them when we were little, we helped plant them and had to collect them for our mum to cook. 

She used to add them to stew and we'd walk down the fields to eat dinner with my dad while they were busy harvesting on the farm. My dad  to and the farm are both gone now but I remember how much i loved it, it's really weird how planting some beans can make you feel so nostalgic 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,774
    edited April 2020
    Happy days eh @Wilderbeast  😊 
    sounds a lot like my childhood ... except it was Ma who did the gardening, aided and abetted by Mr Freeman who used to work on the farm before he retired. Pa was either working on the farm or asleep 😊 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,255
    @Dovefromabove my dad didn't ever seem to sleep he was up with the larks and to bed with the night owls, in between he worked himself into the ground. 

He did the veg garden, though he treated it like a mini farm, he'd barrow seemingly tons of cow muck in and dig it over like a mad man 🤣 He never enjoyed it mind, it was purely seen as a necessity.  

It was a huge plot about 80yard by 60  with every soft fruit, veg, rhubarb, legume, you name it. We had a decent orchard too, all went into the house where mum turned it into delicious stuff. Happy memories indeed 
    Hmmm ... it was the ‘turning it into delicious stuff’ that flummoxed Ma ... she could grow it but she wasn’t the worlds best cook ... she didn’t enjoy cooking either ... she wanted to be outside on the farm or in the garden. The rest of us just looked forward to Pa’s mother’s annual visit when she took over the kitchen ... she was a fabulous cook and her father had been the village baker so 🍞 🍰 🥘 🥧 🍪 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,255
    Fruit pies of every sort, rhubarb crumble, stewed fruit and custard, summer pudding. Then beef stew (very little beef) with every veg you could think of in it, 2 days old was best with the broad beans in for reheating amazing. We lived on an old fashioned diet of meat with loads of veg but we loved it, mum came up with deep fried battered cauliflower it was amazing and leans and beenas with leeks in a cream sauce. STOP IT STOP IT. I'll get fat just thinking about it, sorry I mean fatter 😭😭
    Oh don’t get me wrong ... Ma cooked all those things ... no fast or processed foods in our lives ... she kept trying ...  it’s just the ‘delicious’ aspect that was missing ... but we lived in hope ... 😊