Forum home Problem solving

Help - clematis montana

Hi... Would welcome done advice about my clematis montana.

The plant has two main stems one of which is fine and growing normally, but the other one started to grow leaves but stopped and the leaf buds have died.  

I'm not sure what is wrong and why it's just affected one side of the plant. Should I just leave it and see what happens or prune it back? Please help.... 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,981
    Have you a photo @katehargreaves?
    It may have been damaged lower down, or it may have been too dry. 
    Montanas are very tough, and you can certainly prune it back. It helps if you can work out why the damage is there though  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks..i think I've found the problem, the clematis is against a low wall and trellis between mine and my neighbours garden. She's been speeding the wall with weed killer and I think it's affected my clematis. The side that was growing ok had now also stopped and only had a few really tiny buds right at the end of the stems. Just hoping it might recover. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,981
    That's a b*gger @katehargreaves. Is the clem on your side? If so, perhaps you could have a word with her. 
    Always tricky.... :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• It is..they're not really gardening people but obviously have a lot more time on their hands at the moment. Am hoping that it might recover.