Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Daffodils

Alan 4Alan 4 Posts: 2

Hello all,

New to the forum, and my first post, and looking for advice on daffodils. I have some bulbs which are at least 50 years old (I think they may be "King Alfred's"), and have not been lifted for some years now. Each successive year, less and less bulbs flower, and I assume this is due to them sucking out more nutrients than I have replaced. So this year I have lifted and dried them, and prepared new beds incorporating really well rotted horse manure and Growmore granules.

So, my question is, do I replant the bulbs "now" (say in the next couple of weeks), or is it better to wait until later in the year?

I would be very grateful to receive any comments and advice, as these bulb's were my wife's fathers, so I really need to rescue them for sentimental reasons.

Thank you in advance,

Alan 4.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

It is a shame you have dried them off. The best time to split up clumps of daffs is straight after flowering so that the foliage and roots can establish the bulbs for next year.  It means only allowing the bulbs to be out of the ground for as short a time as possible.  Certainly not days.

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

I would re-plant them now. As already said, you certainly shouldn't have dried them off. If you didn't let the leaves die back completely before digging them up, you will now have to wait at least two years for flowers, because the bulb won't have been able to form the buds for next year.

They will recover in time, but you now need to be patient and allow them to do so.

• Alan 4Alan 4 Posts: 2

Thanks Welshonion and Alina W for your responses. I have 2 beds of daffs and whilst digging up the first, I realised my mistake, and have left the second bed to flower & wilt as you suggest. So when I lift them in a few weeks I will transfer them immediately into a prepared bed, so hopefully will  get a display from those in the second bed. And now I know not dry them out, so I really appreciate your comments and advice.

Thank you again, I'll replant them as soon as these showers pass over!

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

I think you would be better to move them as soon as they finish flowering, foliage and all.  The roots don't finish doing their work until some time after the foliage has died back.

• Nell4Nell4 Posts: 1

My query is very different.  Over the years I have planted many daffodils and tulips, but few have came back after the first year. An OK show at the best.  Then, this April types I have not seen for years have grown and flowered. An example?  Last year I had the usual ONE green tulip.  This year ten have shot up. The fragrant Rosemore Gold daffodil has come back from only the odd one before.  Is this because of the deluge last summer?  Or did the deep cold trigger the growth?

Nell