Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Planting bulbs in the shed.

Hi all,after recently moving home at the end of november,we had to sadly leave the greenhouse behind.With money being tight at the moment ive had to resort to buying one of those 4 tier zip up greenhouse,and using the shed.My question is that if i start of my baskets in the shed,(trailing begonia tubas)will they germinate just as if they were hung in the greenhouse? as it has windows on one side,but doesnt have any means of heat.

• AliPAliP Posts: 64

It's good to have the heat of indoors to get the seeds to germinate but as soon as they have you want to put them into a frost free greenhouse or somewhere similarly cool and light this will then slow the growth right down so they don't become leggy. Yes you are right to pinch out the growing tips once 2 sets of leaves are showing, this will then encourage branching. Link below is to article I've done on my blog about sweet pea seeds.
    <span id="sample-permalink">www.alisonpike.com/blog/?p=231

• Thank you Alison. That makes sense.

Does the advice about pnching out the growing tip apply just to sweet peas or to any other seedlings?

• I always soak mine for a couple of days,sow them in the Green House and move them outside when seeding start to appear I don,t know it this is right?

• If I plant seeds straight into the ground they seem to look after themselves and grow well, but whenever I try to grow sweet peas inside, they start off well, then grow too tall , weaken and fall over. I know you are supposed to pinch out te growing tip but when is the time to do that? If I do it too early , won't it kill the seedling anyway?

• FonzieFonzie Posts: 32

Have sown seed and left them in the shed to grow by the window of said shed. Had the pots on a shelf below the window, so light and warmth from the sun helped germination.

• thanx fonzie,ive sown some lettuce and basil in there this weekend.had some sucess in zip up greenhouse,my tageetes and toms have come through already,theyve only taken 6 days.

• I can't see why not - but the air will heat up fast. We'll have to remember to aerate.