Forum home Fruit & veg

Raised bed dimensions

polbpolb Posts: 198
Hi, I'm just in the process of making a raised bed for veg. This year I am planning on planting potatoes in the bed. It's going to either be one long bed of around 4.8m long or two beds of 2.4m long. What I'm not sure about is the width. Where it is going it can't really be more than 1m wide and really I need it to be as narrow as possible but obviously usable! I have access both sides.

What width would you recommend to give me as much possible usage both this year and in coming years? I plan on planting just one long drill of potatoes - would a width of 80cm be enough? Would 80cm restrict me if I planted different veg in the bed next year? Veg I have grown so far - mainly carrots, lettuce, kale, spinach, onions, broccoli. 

Any thoughts would be great B)

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,771
    edited April 2020
    Maximum recommended width is 1.2m so you can reach the middle from both sides without standing on the soil.  1m will be fine as will 80cm if that's better for you.  The main thing then is to maintain soil fertility and planting distances for plants like brassicas and potatoes.  Veg don't care about being grown in neat rows or blocks.  It's we gardeners who impose them for our convenience and to maximise cropping quality and quantity.

As for length, I'd go for 2 shorter ones.  There will be days when you just don't feel like walking round the longer length and it'll make hosepipe management easier too, as well as crop rotation.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    A lot of no dig fanatics have now standardized at 60 cm. It seems really minimal to me, but an indication that 80 cm will not restrict you much.
  • polbpolb Posts: 198
    Thanks, so 80cm will be wide enough for one potato drill? Would that give me enough space for two rows of carrots or spinach?
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    Check out the the modern approach to no dig systems, Richard Perkins on YouTube is great at explaining it. Also Charles Dowding. They put in more like 5 rows in 60 cm! Very intensive cropping and high quality. So 2 rows, easily.
  • polbpolb Posts: 198
    Wow!! Thanks will have a look :)