Forum home The potting shed

Holes in leaves of bay trees

last year something took a fancy to my pyramidal bay trees at my south facing front door.  Any ideas how to find out what is eating them and what treatment?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,115
    Different things have different chaw-marks. Any chance of a photo of an affected leaf?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• Here's a photo. Thanks for your quick reply.  Also wondering what the best feed is.  I've been neglectful but now have time on my hands!
    I would say that is vine weevil damage. Brought on, most likely, by the tree being grown in a pot rather than in the ground.

De-pot it, if you can, and look for fat, cream coloured grubs with brown mouthparts.

You never find one vine weevil, by the way, they usually come in large groups.
  • I've read that neem oil is a treatment for vine weevil.  What do you think?
    ps  this is an amazing service.  My first time at using it!

It’s a useful resource.

No idea about neem oil. It may work, it may not.

The bottle of vine weevil killer that I was finally obliged to buy (I don’t like using killer chemicals but was driven to it) claims on the packaging to reduce fish, humans, insects, old uncle Tom Cobbley and all, to a smoking pile of death and destruction if they get so much as a sniff of it.

The vine weevils can have it poured directly onto their backs and they just seem to give themselves a bit of a shake and carry on as normal. They are bomb proof.
  • Ok. It's war on vine weevils!  I'll take the bay tree out of its pot and meticulously check it for these insects and their lavae.  After physically removing them, I'll repot it in fresh compost with some slow release fertiliser and pray hard.
    Thanks for your help 
    Yes, don’t be frightened to have a good dig around in the roots. The little blighters love a game of hide and seek. And the bay tree is as tough as old boots, it won’t care.

Good luck.