Forum home The potting shed

Biting off more than you can chew

• PurpleRosePurpleRose Posts: 267
    Hi

I have enjoyed reading through your posts.

Sounds like you have been very busy and you have achieved a lot. 

It's great when you have a free reign to do what you want.
  • HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 325
    Thank you @PurpleRose
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,786
    I like the cold frame, looks like spring some time off yet ? 
    @Perki Just around the corner. It was sunny and warm this afternoon, and all melted. Rain barrel is now full. Last frost date is the start of May. I'm risking it by putting some seed grown hardy perennials into the back of the cold-frame though. There are spares indoors just in case they don't make it.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,159
    Where are you in BC?
    It's a great thread and a great achievement.
    @Fire We are in Kelowna. There is some uncertainty as to whether it's zone 6 or 5. Climate change is a myth, right ;) It's certainly interesting reading my older Canadian publications that have the historic frost dates in them.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,159
    edited 8 March
    Ah, I have stayed there - by the lake. I used to live in Victoria. It's beautiful. Climate seems to be changing so fast in BC - all the mad fires and very dry summers.
    @Fire It is a beautiful lake. We always feel lucky living so close to it. It can get smoky though. Last year was a reprieve.
    edited 4 April
    Make-shift cold frames are holding everything together right now.We have some rock work to do on the right side of the garden, redefining the new pathways. OH just told me this morning as of today there is no burning allowed-due to detrimental effects of pollution on people suffering from Covid-19-he has been cleaning up the old tree cuttings this past week.
    I have decided to remove the weeping larch tree (next to the arbour). It is a nasty plant. Bites me every time I do weeding around it. It will free up more light for the pole beans to go over the arbour.
    Carrots, Lettuce, Spinach, Kohl Rabi, Kale, Radishes, and some of the onions are planted. Chicken wire has been set up all along the front of the back flower border with peas planted along it.
    Tomatoes, peppers, and sweet potatoes are growing inside until May. Just put out the asparagus seedlings today under one of the cold frames. The plastic is exceptionally thick and has proven to withstand -8, so I'm confident they will make it.
    There are still boxes of onion sets and some beets to go in yet.
    Hoping to pick up some fresh manure to make manure tea for the corn. Might start some sweetcorn earlier than normal indoors to get a jump on the season. It worked last year, and there is really nothing to be lost by trying. Excited to try different methods of preserving it too.
    Fortunately being overly eager to get started on the season, I already had ordered my seeds for spring-fall. Will have to share with my MIL as there is a pandemic here to grow your own. Seed companies are backlogged right now. Just means no impulse buying for the time being :D It's a shame as I was eying some apricot lemonade cosmos in a magazine today, and they look gorgeous.
    Just a quick update.
    When you want a pond feature, but need it to be safe for small children:
    Astrantia seems to be thriving, while the slugs and snails chew up all the Rudbeckia.
    The veg garden has come a long way.
    The blueberries have a speedily constructed frame with netting, and various vegetables are planted all along the path from the arbour.
    A Bean Pole 'tree house' constructed from all the leftover tree trimmings. The pots contain apple trees-grown from seed. The black compost bin segments are being used to grow potatoes.
    Hope you enjoyed the update!