Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What do you call the flattish green bit?

B3B3 Posts: 27,481
I have flattish green areas that get mowed but never fed or watered. Scarifying is, well,  scarifying😱. There is some grass,moss and your usual mow-surviving wild flowers and weeds. There's one at the front and one at the back, but what should I call them? They're not lawns. They're not the stripey things you nurture and trim with a comb and scissors.
In London. Keen but lazy.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,481
    I looked up 'sward'. That's getting closer.
    I don't think I'd get away with meadow😒
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,569
    I call it a waste of a good flower bed,  but my OH would beg to differ...
  • wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,497
    A yawn?
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,481
    I use the stealth method of edging. A couple of inches off every year. Letting the plants overhang the grass helps too. You put the edge just outside them.
  • @AnniD I really have called them 'flower beds' since I removed the last bits of anything resembling lawn well over 20 years ago. :) OH here considers the garden as something full of bitey, stingy, hay-fever-inducing things so only uses it to hang out the washing!  Her loss, my gain!  :D
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,569
    I used to use the "tidying up the edges" excuse to gain an inch or two, until it got to the point where even my OH noticed what was happening. Reckon l made a good 6 inches all the way round though before that happened  B)
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    In "The Mill on the Floss", George Eliot has Maggie Tulliver telling her brother Tom:  "Words can mean more than one thing:  there's 'lawn'; that means the stuff pocket-handkerchiefs are made of, as well as the grass-plot."  "Grass-plot" works for me.
  • raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,091
    pansyface said:
    I call ours “the Meadow”.

But I’m a pretentious prat.😁
    I have 3 apple trees and like to refer to them as 'the Orchard' :) 

The part of my garden to which I occasionally apply a lawn mower is a blinking pain in the bum and it's going this year if the rain ever stops.
    Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139
    edited February 2020
    I’m not allowed to get rid of the one in the back garden as OH has to have one so he can lie on his back and gaze up at the sky through the ash tree leaves in the daytime and the bats chasing the chafers at dusk.  

As it’s in a hollow with a large ash tree and has (to me) a feeling of woodland planting around it ... from henceforth the patch of  grass, moss and wildflowers in the back garden will be known as The Glade. 😊 

NB anyone making silly references to proprietary air fresheners will get NO CAKE!!! 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.