Forum home Garden design

Creating a focal point at the end of garden path

Hi,

Looking for inspiration and ideas for creating a focal point at the end of a slightly curved garden path.

The path ends against a wooden, west-facing fence. The latter is over-hung by an apple tree in the neighbour's garden. To the left of the path is a pebbled area. Against the fence here, I've an arrangement of several different sized pots planted up with one rather lovely Pieris  and several Heucheras and ferns.

In the summer it can look a little dark at the back as I have a Cherry tree on the right and a little further forward, a plum to the left. (That's and Arbutus in the foreground - hiding the Cherry)

I want something at the end of the path that creates the illusion of light and provides a wow factor.`Excuse the quality of the photo. 

The portion of the path in the photo is straight - the rest is not. 

Will be grateful for ideas and advice.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,432
    I would just paint that fence which will be visible from all angles whereas a focal point at ground level will only add interest from a limited viewpoint.  Then you shuffle the pots about to show off the plant that is at its peak altho I'm sure most of those would be happier in the ground if you can do that.

Lots of fence colours available now but a pale grey would reflect light back into the garden and show off your various greens.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,432
    Mirrors have to be carefully placed and framed or birds can fly into them and break their neck.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • It's the same thing from a different perspective and I'd say heavily photoshopped 

I doubt the real thing is as highly reflectiveonce the water is running over it. 

Would look nice at the end of woodland path with plenty of ferns. Could also use the same gravel in the reservoir that you have in the bed to tie it in. 

• What about choisya ternata sundance. Here is a clip of one of the ones I have when it was flowering a while back. One of the brightest things in my garden at the moment.
  • Thank you all for getting back to me. I'm inspired by all your ideas.

Obelisk, I've been toying with the idea of painting that back fence a different colour for a while. It's very difficult to plant up at the back there, hence the pots. The Heucheras are quite happy in pots and I can place them at different heights because of this; I feel this adds interest.

Greenbird, I have thought about mirrors at the back there for several years. The ones I like are expensive. Love the ones where water is incorporated! Will have to drop heavy hints re. birthday presents.

robairdmacraignil, that Choisya Ternata Sundance is a beauty! I do love that shade of yellow-green; it's almost fluorescent isn't it?

I have an idea brewing where I think I can incorporate elements all of your ideas. 

Thank you for you time and watch this space!