Forum home Garden design

Tall narrow plant recommendations

Hi again!

As you can see below, as part of my huge revamp of the garden, I'm currently building decking with a small gap between that and the fence. (That area is far from done yet and requires fence paint etc, don't judge!)

The fence isn't straight, with the gap between decking and fencing ranging from 6" - 18", 8.4m long, so cheap is ideal but not at the expense of planting poor quality plants, so not a deal breaker.

I'm looking to plant something in the gap, ideally I'm looking for something that grows narrow and vertically to avoid having plants hanging over the decking and revoking valuable seating space, (this is a big must!), ideally I'd also like it to be quite dense due to my VERY nosey neighbour peeking through the fence gaps but not a deal breaker as I can spray her with the hose again through the gaps, whilst 'cleaning the fence'.

Height doesn't matter much, providing I can keep it pruned to 6ft high as a maximum and low plants also welcome as I can pop up some baskets higher up.

I'm looking for something sturdy, however I don't want something that's going to start taking over the underneath of my decking with very invasive roots!

Strong scented plants ALWAYS welcome!

Not asking for much am I? Haha!

I hope you get the jist of what I want, although I'm not even sure I know what I want! 

I'm open to all ideas, even if they don't necessarily fit the above requirements.

All recommendations really are very much appreciated!

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,833
    I'm afraid I can't see any plant that would fit your bill. You might paint the fence green, that would give the illusion of a set of tall, narrow plants that would "not hang over the decking and revoke valuable seating space". ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,632
    Could you attach wires or trellis to that concrete fence somehow?  Then you could grow climbers up it, perhaps.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Not got much in the way of fragrance but I have seen hornbeam trimmed to make a very narrow hedge which can also be fairly tall if required but it is hardy enough that you could keep it trimmed to just 6 feet in height as well. It isn't evergreen but holds its leaves in winter like beech and it seems a bit tougher from what I have seen. Hawthorn is also used for hedging and I guess it could be trimmed to whatever size you wanted and it has great fragrance when it is flowering. The thorns might make it a bit awkward to deal with when trimming regularly so I would be more inclined to go with the hornbeam in your situation and get the fragrance from other planting. Either can be bought bare root for another few weeks for fairly cheap with prices usually dependent on numbers. I planted a hedge with a mixture of both almost two years back and some of the two to three foot plants used are already reaching to 6foot. The suggestion of just growing climbers might also work and some of these have great fragrance but I find them awkward to keep contained and training some fruit trees on the trellis might be a better option with pears and apples usually having great flowers.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,282
    edited February 2020
    There’s not enough space for much and no access to dig over and prepare the ground for planting. 

A self clinging climber like parthenocissus or an ivy would cover the fence with greenery and they’re pretty tolerant of grim planting conditions. 

Parthenocissus will turn a glorious red in the autumn, and of course ivy comes in a variety of leaf shapes and different leaf markings if you choose variegated types. 

But you will have to be prepared to curb their adventurous tendencies once they have filled the space you’ve allotted to them. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Have a look at clematisontheweb.org heads in the sun ,shade for the feet. Evergreen ones, flowering ones, scented a few. Valerie 

• GreenbirdGreenbird Posts: 197
    edited February 2020
    Bamboo perhaps.

Though I've heard (never seen) some horror stories. Best to thorough research first.

Or a Fern wall
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,499
    Both clematis and bamboo and, indeed, any plant worth growing need a lot more soil depth and space and preparation than is going be possible in that teeny space between the decking and fence.  I'd also worry about how much rainwater they're going to get in such a cramped space.

I would suggest reducing the deck width by at least 30 to 60 cms along both fences so you can do some decent soil prep and plant some climbers to cover that bare expanse.  You'll need some trellis or wires stretched along vine eyes to support them but could then think about honeysuckle, repeat flowering rambling or climbing roses, clematis etc.

Plant low maintenance lavenders or hardy geraniums or even herbs along the base to cover the soil and keep down weeds or use a good mulch of chipped bark or slate.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • @Obelixx

I believe it's quite fashionable to grow Bamboo in hollow cinder blocks:

Worth ago. Not like Bamboo is hard to grow. Just have to choose the right one to make sure it doesn't run onto neighbors property.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,499
    Would need daily watering in summer to keep it growing, regular feeding and, TBH, it is very dull and boring.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • It is a bit boring. Nice sound in the wind though and not as dull and boring as that fence.