Forum home Problem solving

hedge dying

muirswondermuirswonder near InvernessPosts: 9
Hello can anyone please tell me what the issue is and if I can fix it or need to get rid of the hedge? Half of it is partly dead (upper stems still have leaves on them), the fungus is spreading though! Thank you very much! 

• muirswondermuirswonder near InvernessPosts: 9
    Can anyone advise me please? Should I rip this hedge out??? Thank you. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,133
    edited October 2019
    I’ve not seen that green ‘ mould’ before so I’ve no idea whether it’s the cause of the problem or not.

I think I would try cutting that section right down to about 18” in height, clean our any weeds, dead leaves and other detritus from the base of the hedge, then in February  feed with Fish, Blood & Bone, give the bass of the hedge a really good soaking and mulch with organic matter.

If you don’t get lots of new growth in the spring/early summer then there’s something wrong at the roots and I’d dig it out and refresh the soil before planting a new hedge. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• muirswondermuirswonder near InvernessPosts: 9
    Hello Dove from above 
    thank you so much for your kind reply! I used to get alerts for posts, but somehow lost that and never noticed your message. Sorry about that. I'll have another look at the hedge. All the best MW
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,133
     :) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh