Forum home The potting shed

Starbucks doing something right

I wouldn't normally choose to give them my custom, as our town centre has many good independent cafes to choose from, but I was accompanied by an aged parent who can't walk far, and Starbucks happened to be nearest.  Just inside the door was a basket on a stand, full of big sealed packages, with a sign: "Spent coffee grounds for your garden."  If one Starbucks is doing it, presumably others are.  Other cafes please copy, only with plastic-free packaging if possible.  But I'll carry on taking my own plastic box to a cafe nearer home.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,638
    Waitrose have been doing it for years too.
    Devon.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,714
    I got all excited when I saw the title.  I thought they were all closing down. :D
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,004
    😊

I was in B&Q the other day and I saw “Coffee Logs” for sale. Didn’t stop to ask what or why but it seems you can maybe light a fire with them too.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,562
    But then you'd be releasing planet warming CO2 @pansyface!

Very happy to say there is, so far, no Starbucks here nor Costa.   I expect I could ask for grounds at the café in our usual SM complex.  We put all our own coffee grounds in the compost.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,337
    At least they are making some sort of effort, even if it can be dismissed as a PR exercise by the cynics. Yes, it's a drop in the ocean when you look at everything we have woken up to, but it's something. It's not going to change overnight.
    In the words of Joey " The Lips" Fagan in " The Commitments", "It's a start. I believe in starts". 
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,837
    pansyface said:
    😊

I was in B&Q the other day and I saw “Coffee Logs” for sale. Didn’t stop to ask what or why but it seems you can maybe light a fire with them too.

Here are your coffee logs: https://www.bio-bean.com/coffee-logs/

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,085
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness! 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,004
    “Treat your home to a coffee logs glow” has a similar ring to it as the Welsh nationalist graffiti that said “Come home to a real fire” in the days when they were burning down English second homers’ country cottages. 😊

Ah but Obelixx, if I put them into landfill, like my compost heap, they emit methane, according to Coffee Logs.  Choices choices.  How best to muck up the planet?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,562
    Methane in coffee grounds??  Who knew?   Better smells from burning a log then.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054
    B&Q have a charity box with timber off cuts and damaged kitchen end panels that sort of thing give what you want the proceeds go to a homeless charity, I've had some useful bits and bats, I believe they also donate paint and other bits and pieces to charity's, keeps it out of landfill, well done B&Q.