The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Bluebells

SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 948

I've been intending to get some bluebells for my woodlandy area and like magic a single bluebell has appeared elsewhere in my garden.

Firstly, how do I be sure it's an English bluebell?  I don't what to encourage it if not.

Secondly, how best to try to develop it?  I need to move it as am about to put a path where it is.  So I'm going to get it into a pot. What next?

thanks!

• Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

I'm not an expert, but English bluebell is (I think) rather delicate looking, with all the flowers hanging on one side of the stem;  also it has thinner leaves.

Spanish is chunkier, flowers on more than one side, and fatter leaves.

But most bluebells are hybrids - I think these days you are quite lucky if you have pure English ones (unless you live near old woodland).

The first one is an English Bluebell the second is a Spanish one for me there is very little difference except the colour of the English is a lot bluer and maybe the bells on the English might be a bit larger as well

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 770

This link by the Natural History museum may help.

It shows the 3 main contenders.

English blue bell...... Hyacintha non scripta...

Spanish bluebell ....Hyacinthoides hispanica

and a cross between the two...Hyacinthoides x massartiana.

The colour of the pollen will help you to decide.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/british-natural-history/survey-bluebells/bluebell-identification/index.html

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 948

Oooh, thanks guys. I'll do some inspection in the morning.  Although given your comments I think it might go buy some true Englishbluebells.

Ta!