Forum home Problem solving

Plant pot "feet"

I have about 30 pots planted up at the moment and several of them seem to be struggling due to waterlogging,  I'm thinking that if I raise them off the ground then that will aid drainage and aeration. What are people using to do this ?
I don't want to spend £100 on proper pot feet so I'm looking for alternative ideas.
Thank you. 

• Half bricks work well for larger pots. Living in the Pennines I have plenty of natural stone about, so just pick out the flatter pieces for smaller pots. You could use old tiles stacked if you have any, or even bits of scrap wood. You could throw it out if it got too rotten.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,989
    I find that bags of kindling usually contain sticks of similar dimensions. Three placed in a triangle will do the job for several months.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,599
    buy a length of tile baton and cut to size
    Devon.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,187
    I have no idea if this would work or if it would crumble but how about ready mixed concrete poured into yoghurt/cream pots? Prise off the pot and you might be left with unobtrusive pot feet.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,833
    For my terracotta pots I use these
    https://www.homebase.co.uk/pot-feet-in-terracotta-pack-of-3-_p228591
    Also got 12” slot together decking for some, I also bought some very cheap little plastic feet can’t remember from where though,  try google.
    As Hostafan and Pansy says, strips of wood will do the trick for cheapy.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,082
    You could make your own using recycled plastic posts or boards.  For example, this post is 50x50mm and 2.4m long so could be sawn into approx. a hundred one inch high feet.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,571
    Anything will do that is flat and will bear weight so either bits of flat stone, old bricks, pieces of paving slabs or wooden bits will be fine.
  • Thanks for the replies,  some good ideas to work with.