Forum home Problem solving

What's this grass ?

WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 941
Hi everyone hope you've all had a brilliant Christmas. The grass pictured is 1 of several that I was given as freebies from our window cleaner and have all done brilliantly holding a good shape into the winter. Does anyone have any idea what variety it maybe ? 

On a separate point I collected loads of seeds but was wondering if now would be a good time to sow them and would some bottom heat be a good idea ? 

To be honest I'm kind of desperate to do something useful in the garden, it's so wet and soggy I can't do anything else. Thanks 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,553
    my immediate reaction, mainly from the flower, was penisetum, but might be 100% wrong.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,160
    Hostafan1 said:
    my immediate reaction, mainly from the flower, was penisetum, but might be 100% wrong.
    That was my first thought too ... but with the same caveat 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 941
    Hi all I've just googled both suggestions and think it's penisetum, immediately looked to see when to sow seeds and now is a good time 😃 at last I can do something. My wife and kids are so disappointed cos that just gives me an excuse to to be out in the garden again. 
    Glad to have been of some help. 
    Too wet to get outside here.
    Devon.
    Too wet to do much here too but I turned my compost bins yesterday (I can then sit in our kitchen with a brew and see the steam rising, beautiful) and wandered the beds planning for the spring onslaught oh the joy 
    I've done lots of " bed planning wanders" 
    Devon.
    Completely off subject but my father in law has just topped up (he's my  main gardening side kick) he and the Mrs went to a national trust garden yesterday and he's been scrumping again !! Yes we all know it's wrong but he is weak willed and is always collecting seeds. It's usually a surprise cos rarely does he make a note of what he's got. So I've got a late present of about 10 little bags of different seeds, it's always a surprise to see what we can get 😃
    Hi Phillipa Smith 2 to be honest he usually only takes 1 seed head from each plant. We have had some very interesting plants 1 last year produced about 50 plants with beautiful magenta flowers and as yet we have zero idea what they are 😃.

I always laugh at the prospect of him being stopped by a police officer who finds his wallet full of little baggies full of herbal looking stuff, clearly I have an over active imagination but it would be quite hilarious

I'll try and stick to the thread after today, this has been a little Christmas light entertainment !!