Forum home Problem solving

Spots on tomato plant leaves

Help! I've been growing tomato and pepper plants from seed indoors (with the help of grow lamps), from seeds that I simply collected from vegetables I used in the kitchen. They have grown well, but they are still in an early-is stage having not yet flowered. Some of the tomato plants have developed increasing numbers of small brownish, shiny spots on their leaves, starting on older, lower leaves (pics below). Other than the spots there are no other signs of something being wrong. I have watered the plants every couple of days or so, and occasionally have added some Tomato Feed. The spots don't seem to quite match descriptions of common problems I have found online, so I'm not sure what to do to address it! Does anyone know what this is?

• cornellycornelly Posts: 931
    Looks like rust, haven't had it on tomatoes, though the geraniums in the glasshouse have been badly hit with it, even ivy leaf geraniums.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,292
    It looks like nibbles from snails or possibly slugs to me - they're very hungry this time of year.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks both for your input! I'll look more into rust. In fact, it can't be snails or slugs because these plants are potted on a windowsill in my house. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,833
    It looks like some burrowing insect, I don’t know which one.
    March to April is the time to sow tomato seeds,  they need long days and warm sunshine to fruit.  Don’t worry too much about these, you can always have another go in the spring.   
    You feed tomato plants after the first truss of tomatoes have set, if not you’ll get loads of green and not many flowers. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.