Forum home Problem solving

Lawn Weed ID Please

Hi, 

I wonder if anyone is able to identify this lawn weed for me please? Sorry about the quality. It's beginning to take over a lawn near the coast with vey sandy soil. Thank you!

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,257
    Possibly a hawkbit? It looks a bit silver/grey or is that just the photo?

Someone more knowledgeable will have it in an instant I'm sure.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,556
    Looks like some kind of Storksbill based on it thriving on exposed sandy soils. Two common ones are Erodium Moschatum, Musk Storksbill and Erodium Cicutarium, Common Storksbill.
  • I can't really make out the photo too well, but it looks like ragwort
  • Thank you for the replies. I've added some slightly better images here:
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,095
    I'm inclined to agree with ragwort:
    https://www.lawnweeds.co.uk/weed-identification/ragwort

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,780
    It looks a lot like ragwort to me too ... but does anyone remember 18 months or so ago someone managed to identify a ‘weed’ that looked a lot like ragwort but wasn’t. Think it proved to have a white flower. 
    Maybe @nutcutlet will remember it 🤔
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FritillaryFritillary WiltshirePosts: 478
    edited December 2019
    Yes it does look a bit like ragwort,there are several types.  Some more plants I can think of are salad Burnet or dropwort.   :)
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,095
    As a rapidly-spreading weed in a lawn, I reckon ragwort is more likely than one of the prettier wild flowers...   :/
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Looks like some kind of Storksbill based on it thriving on exposed sandy soils. Two common ones are Erodium Moschatum, Musk Storksbill and Erodium Cicutarium, Common Storksbill.
    Apparently it is common Stalks bill. Thanks