Forum home Problem solving

Climbing rose only has foliage at top

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,864
    ...probably not bolder... I don't like cutting a whole rose right down really, unless I really have to, like having fence repairs or somesuch...
    ...it's done in spring or summer,.. I wouldn't worry about infections... the risk is that you could cut through the whole stem if clumsy..   it's just making a shallow notch from left to right across the stem right above a bud.... a new shoot may then grow from that bud that otherwise never would... 
  • Our neighbour had an old rose which had to be moved due to an extension,she didnt want it dumped as it belonged to her grandparents,so I said I'd put in in my garden so she could still see it.
    However it had to be cut down to about 4/5 feet, as it looked very much like OP picture. Although it "took"and grew another 3 feet through the summer,it didnt produce any blooms. Is it worth persevering to see what happens next year? I put bone meal and fresh compost with the replanting of it.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,864
    ....yes I would give it another season and see what happens.... it might surprise you next Spring...
  • Thankyou @ Marlorena.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Hello everyone. I'm amazed that this question generated so many answers, thank you all so much. I have been disappointed however at the negative attack: one reason I don't use social media. I didn't find the first comment suitable (apparently a crime), and the response and sarcasm put me off the forum I must say.  I'm so disappointed that apparently gardening isn't a calm hobby for some, as is it's reputation. 

After that, there were brilliant replies and video links, and even someone who took the time to make a diagram on my photo, which has all been very helpful. Thank you for those replies, I will indeed be following them and training my rose horizontally. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,087
     I don't have room to spread it out horizontally. I think the best thing is to grow a shrub under it next year to cover the bare bit!
    I will indeed be following them and training my rose horizontally. 
    Devon.
  • There is some room , I can't tell exactly how much but there is certainly some room on the next fence panel to the right .
  • If you look at my email, I explained that my comment about having not enough room was at the very beginning. It sounded like I should spread the branches out horizontally from the top where they are, which I didn't want to do, as next to it (not seen in the photo) is another climbing rose and a clematis starting out. Later, I received other advice which should help me. Your hostility is unnecessary Hostafan, (maybe it should be hostile-fan...) and a shame on a site like this, as I'm sure the others would agree. End of.
  • P.S> changed my username to avoid your horrid comments, will do so again now this new one has come up. Bye.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,463
    Don't be put off by this unnecessarily rude exchange @chats42 most of the time this forum is a friendly place. Good luck with training the rose. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow