Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Christmas cards

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032
    I like sending and receiving cards. They are part of my Christmas decorations and, as I said in my last post, they are a good way of keeping in touch with English friends as I live in SW  France.  They can go in the recycling afterwards or be used to make cards for next year or as labels for presents. 

I always buy charity cards and think of the jobs they provide for people and they help the Post Offices to keep going. So many Post Offices have shut in Dordogne in the last few years, jobs lost. I find it so inconvenient, I have to drive even further to buy stamps. Inconvenient for local village French people too as they often use the Post Office as a bank.

I wish that more birthday cards were 20gm or under, most are just over and the French price goes up at 20gm. It's 100gm in England. I buy most of my cards in England, far most choice of charity cards, the French never used to send cards much so far less choice and they are more expensive.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • I'm another fan of Christmas cards as most of my friends and family are now scattered far and wide. And like @Busy-Lizzie they're part of my Christmas decorations.

I usually buy charity cards but have deviated this year because my niece is selling some of her lovely artwork cards on Etsy. I'm not keen on glitter but I expect I'll receive some from my grandchildren!
  • I enjoy sending and receiving Christmas cards, I used to make my own but can no longer do so (no glitter used but other decorative features were often included). I too like to show my love and affection to those who I feel closer to with an annual card, my one sadness is our list is diminishing in number as the years pass - it happens to us all, especially those without Grandchildren.
  • FireFire Posts: 19,092
    edited November 2019
    I make my own cards and have for years. I have just finished a load this evening. I use rubber stamps, among other things. I love sending cards to friends and family I love and don't see often. I feel that it's an important connection as all of us have lived all over the world and continue to be scattered.  I add in a letter, sometimes homemade soap. In don't see the point at all of signing a card with "best wishes" and a signature, when it's an opportunity to share our news and put some love in with it. Living overseas a lot and growing up before email, I have always been a letter writer and still am. I often send prints of my own photos or art work, so in a way, the cards are presents also. I send about 20 cards a year, so not very onerous but very meaningful re the people I choose to send to.

For me, it's more a celebration of winter and marking the end of the year - time passing. Solstice is more meaningful to me than Christmas which is just a plastic consumer-fest.  I bring in the ivy and holly from my garden. I hang my dried physalis lanterns around the house. All very low key. I like the winter food aspect - though Christmas day stuff for me. Fresh ginger tea is always on the stove from Nov. Homemade apple cake is great for the weekends. Stews, mulled wine, baked squash - a celebration of winter. All good stuff, shared with friends by the fire.

I heard my first carols yesterday. 😱😱😱 December 20th I could handle at a distance. November is satanic.

• That all sounds absolutely lovely @Fire 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 5,290
    I like that image of feast and friends @Fire. I too prefer the spirit and sentiment of celebrating Winter, so Christmas is a convenient excuse. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888
    I send a card to each of my daughters, and nobody else. I don't even give Hubby one. ( stop it @Fairygirl)
    I transfer money into my daughters' bank accounts before I go to bed on Dec 24th and that's it.  No tree, no glitter, no excessive landfill wrapping paper  and I refuse to wear the xmas apron at Waitrose.
    Bah Humbug 
    Devon.
  • Wot!!! No antlers @Hostafan1 ?... spoilsport 🙄 🤣 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FireFire Posts: 19,092
    `presents: