Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,964
    Kind of, I planted a few crocus 'Tommies' next to my Mum's grave and bought a besom brush from Wantage GC. We've got lots of small birch leaves falling on our paving so I'm hoping the besom will do the job better.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,918
    Planted over 500 bulbs this weekend, most of them today as it didn't rain as much as on Saturday, most of which was spent planting those destined for pots.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I planted an assortiment of Helleborus in pots today. Very pretty during te wintertime.
  • We scattered more Yellow Rattle seeds in the field - hoping the 4 sheep will treat them in as they graze. Counted out the remaining cyclamen plants to go out during the week - hoping my back will allow me to finish the job.
  • A productive morning in the rain - just planted four euonymus to finish the border around my hydrangeas. Our local nursery had lots in for £2 each and now I'm wondering if I should go back for a few more. I've already got six thriving (so far) cuttings in the shed but I'm very conscious that many in nearby roads have suffered with box moth so I suspect that the days of the box border around my roses might be numbered. The lady at the nursery went to Polesden Lacey at the weekend and mentioned that they were pulling out all their box and replacing them with euonymus.
    edited November 2019
    I'm thinking the same @HidcoteHurrah , but, touch wood, we haven't got box blight yet, although it has reached the other side of Bath apparently. I do like euronymus, such a dependable, easy plant which doesn't need pruning!
    I managed to plant the remaining bulbs, mostly in pots but some crocus 'Tommies' in my Shady bed and Tulipa clusiana in my Rose bed.
    The sun came out briefly and the rain stopped so dashed out and cleared a narrow border of dead iris leaves and cut back the catmints - looks much neater now. Then I handpicked lots of wet birch leaves off my rockery which were swamping the cyclamens, campanula, bergenia and hellebores. A very laborious job.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,319
    edited November 2019
    Volunteer day at Capel yesterday I got to prune some of their cordon & espalier fruit trees which had been a bit neglected. I did point out they should have been done in summer but we have given them a bit of a tidy up. Makes a change for me to be doing something I know more about than the guy I am working with!
    AB Still learning

Well done @Allotment Boy.

I swept up yet more leaves (and there's still more birch leaves to fall - sigh. I also weeded and cut back two small flower beds before the cold drove me back indoors at 3 pm.
  • Rik56Rik56 WiganPosts: 425
    Didn't plan on doing any gardening today but nipped to Aldi and saw they had Hellebores for £2.99, of course I couldn't resist so I got 2 along with a Gaultheria Mucronata (also £2.99) and planted them when I got home! 
    I couldn't resist either..