Forum home Wildlife gardening

Gravel Front garden to Wild Flowers

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,456
    fairyGirl........thanks for the Wee Bundle..
    Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
    All seeds sown now just have to wait till Spring !
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,825
    NewBoy2 said:
    WillDB

https://www.decorativegardens.co.uk/honey-stone-chippings-8-15mm.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInI2fwYCj5QIVmK3tCh3KKgEUEAQYAyABEgIefvD_BwE

I think I should loosen the top 2 inches of the compacted soil and mix in some of the above before sowing.

Using your past experiences what do you think Bill ?
    Oh, I wouldn't bother actually buying in gravel. My comment was more along the lines of saving yourself the bother of removing it.
    WillDB

Chap up the road wanted all 30 half bags of gravel so I borrowed a barrow and put them in his front garden along with the membranes.

I loosened the top 2 inches and then it suggested in the "destruction's " that I shouyld roll it . As I dont have a roller I used a large lump of wood and my size 15's to stomp down the soil and sewd all yesterday

The seeds came from Yellow Sage .

When they are blooming I will get someone to upload a suitable photo.

Thank you for your advice Will
    The seeds seem to have failed to germinate as the soil had been under flag stones and then gravel for 30 years

? What do I do to the soil over the winter to make it more viable to re sow in the spring.

Its 8 x 8 foot and currently waterlogged 
  • Could you aerate the ground by spiking with a garden fork? This might improve the drainage.

The species of wild flowers you can get to grow will depend on the soil ph, fertility, moisture content etc. they can be very fussy! If the ground is holding water you may need a mix which likes a damp soil. Wild flowers will grow just not necessarily the ones you sow or wanted. You could kick start things with seed in spring and some plug plants of reliable wild flowers like ox-eye daisies, Meadow Cranesbill, knapweed, bird's foot trefoil and selfheal. I've found those are not fussy on soil type as long as it's not waterlogged and will make a colourful, insect friendly patch :)

I have dumped a layer of manure on it and I will re assess in March and sow the remaining seeds hopefully into a more enriched soil .
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 32,911
    The site just might not be suitable if it's waterlogging @NewBoy2 .
    Manuring might make it too rich though, so you might need to experiment with various plants for a while, as already said. Perhaps fork it all over now and again to get it loosened up, and then try it again in spring. 
    The bit I'm using was grass, and I've just covered it with gritty sand and some old compost, to blend it in with the surroundings. I have hedging nearby, so the plentiful rain we get is absorbed well enough.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,825
    Anywhere that talks about wildflower seeds will tell you that rich soil and fertility is to be avoided NewBoy, so I'm unsure why you put manure there. 

In a nutshell, the grasses will grow too strongly and the flowers will be outcompeted. 

Agree with FG, might be better as a flowerbed. TBH that's more appropriate for the average front garden anyway. Can still be wildlife friendly.
  • Sounds good, you might want to get some bulbs in there so you have some early colour before the wildflowers get going. There's still time to get tulips in and tulip ballerina is beautiful and comes back year on year.