Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Privacy Trellis Dog Friendly & Edible?

Hello,  I was wondering if anyone is able to provide any suggestions on climbers for a new trellis we are building.  Ideally the plants need to be perennial & low maintenance, provide cover throughout the year, be non toxic to dogs and preferably edible / fruit bearing / useful.  I am currently thinking of passion fruit and maybe kiwi.  I currently have honeysuckle but that seems to have taken over and become very top heavy so would prefer to avoid this if possible.  Is blackberry an option or would this look awful.  Anything I could use to eat or cut for houseful greenery would be preferred.  Thank you!

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066
    Can we have more info on soil type, apsect and general location as well as exposure to strong winds and frost.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Soil will bew bew so not sure yet.  Westerly aspect, enclosed garden but quite windy and frosty in winter.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066
    Bew Bew?
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • *be new!
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340
    A thornless cultivated backberry?
    e.g. Ruben or Waldo are well behaved and only get to 6ft or so with huge tasty berries

You can get a general idea of your soil type at this DEFRA sponsored site-
    http://www.landis.org.uk/soilscapes/
    Just type in your postcode

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thank you - according to that it is soilscape 7 - slightly acidic and loamy?

• Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,251
    Welcome to the forum, @a.fairhead !
    I'm afraid the ideal plant you describe only exists in your imagination.  ;)
    If you find your current honeysuckle difficult to manage, then I wouldn't call a kiwi a "low maintenance" plant! And you forgot to provide an essential piece of information, viz the dimensions of your trellis (height & length).
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340
    Sounds like you have good soil then.
    A blackberry would be very happy there I would think. As would most other soft fruit canes.
    I have a Waldo growing up a fence and was impressed with the fruits this summer - as were the blackbirds, pigeons etc....

Keepers supply very good quality plants
    https://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/soft-fruit-plants/blackberry-hybrid-berry

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • yes papi - i think youre right!  the height will be about 6ft and it'll be about 40ft long.  Ive used keepers before actually but i couldnt remember their name - i did find them good so thanks for the reminder!  I'll take a look at the waldos - thank you.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,251
    @a.fairhead "keepers"? What are they?
    Ah, you might manage kiwis on a trellis that length. However make sure they don't escape into the neighbours' garden. And note that kiwis lose their foliage in the winter.