Forum home Plants

What would you plant with Phlomis russeliana?

2»

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,859
    I can’t help you there. We inherited ours when we move here eleven years ago.

It had been ignored for years, got a massive haircut when we arrived and has been doing well ever since. 
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,121
    Sorry, like Pansyface, I inherited my big girl too :) She can take a really severe haircut though and does grow just as large again by the next summer, so my guess would be fast growing. I got fed up of having to hack back several times a year, plus it was demolishing the short wall it was planted up against.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,651
    I planted 3 small plants one year in spring and they were happy and easily swamped the geranium Johnson's Blue nearby but then it wasn't as happy.   I ended up with a clump about 3m wide and about a metre deep but not a regular shape and that's because I hacked it back each year.

It doesn't mind being hacked, it is very hardy, enjoys full sun - shorter flower stems - but I've also seen it grown in shade under a  tree by a gardener who didn't know better and there it got to early 2m high with far fewer flower stems. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,465
    Thanks all. I may regret it... But I'm going to go with my original plan. Plus daffodils and maybe Alliums :smile:
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,651
    You won't know till you have a go and it won't break the bank if you have to pull them up and start again and you'll still have the daffs and alliums.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Obelixx said:
    You won't know till you have a go and it won't break the bank if you have to pull them up and start again and you'll still have the daffs and alliums.
    Yes indeedy :smiley:
    - Cicero
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,109
    You could slide some Carex 'Ice Dance' in there; it runs at the root a bit and I would imagine would pop up and fill any gaps it can find among the Phlomis (and it's evergreen and always looks pretty tidy).

If this bed is completely contained you could pop Euphorbia cyparissus in and see how it fared in a 'battle of the thugs'.

Not sure I can cope with more than one thug at a time! It's not completely contained - it'll open out to a squareish bed at one end. I do like euphorbia...
    - Cicero