Climbing rose ?

I had arose given me 2 years ago. This Spring/ summer it had quite a few beautiful blooms. I don't have a name for it, but I am confused as to whether it is a climber or rambler. Whatever it is ,it has about 4-5 branches and flowered near the  top.  When should I prune back? that's if I need to. I'm not sure how far down to prune if need to.

• Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 690
    I always find this guy extremely helpful with roses, it’s an old video but still the best imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o-o_FHPoEU&feature=share

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 2,579
    edited 4 November
    @Dorcascents
    Hello...

You are lucky to have this wonderful rose... and you should treasure it although I have to advise you that it will only flower once in the season, from early to mid May through to mid to late June... you may get a flower or two in July.... the flowers are susceptible to frost damage in early May if you get any then and it starts out too soon...
    ...you should not prune this rose now, but only after it has finished its flowering, about mid July time,, then prune to shape to fit whatever support it's on... it is a very vigorous climbing rose, tolerant of both drought and shady sites..so to be seen at its very best, it needs to be allowed to grow to some size without too  much interference in the early years...

...it has a difficult to pronounce French name 'Mme. Gregoire Stachelin'... unmistakeably so with its wavy edged petals.... you might prefer it's alternative name which is 'Spanish Beauty'...

...do enjoy your rose, it's one of the classics of the Old Rose world...

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 2,579
    ….and if you're still looking in here, I omitted to mention that it develops big orange hips in autumn, so you could leave some of those spent flower heads on the plant or keep them all and prune lightly during late winter instead of July time..
  • Marlorena Thank you so much for this information. I love the flower and really pleased I at last have a name for it. I will treasure it, and care for it as per your advice. Its a shame it only flowers for a short time though. I really appreciate your advice