Forum home Plants

Help needed please with laurel hedge issues...

• lockegaillockegail Posts: 4
    Thanks Lyn. I am going to have to be brave aren’t I?

Did I read it right that I could stick the top half in the ground and grow another bush?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,390
    No, you can’t do that but you can take cuttings from side shoots. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• lockegaillockegail Posts: 4
    Thanks Lyn. Sounds a bit too complicated for me so will just chop them off and bin them.   :(
  • befuddledbefuddled Posts: 34

Hi all. Well after all that.... I'm emigrating and the house is up for sale. So thanks for the advice. Final post from me but hopefully this topic will continue to be of some use to people, and hopefully the hedge will help sell the place with the extra privacy it provides.

Final thoughts: Very happy with the growth and height of the eventual hedge. Hadn't banked on birds nesting in it and making 'mess' everywhere. Not overly happy with the flowers and berrys that grow and drop all over the patio all spring. If I could go back to 2015, I'd probably try conifers.

Lessons learned: Don't buy tall Laurels off ebay scammers at over inflated prices.

Note: I've not cut back the bushes the last 2 years now, and I've definitely noticed a slow-down in new growth as a result. That was fine for me as they were getting unmanageable.

So to summarise... 4 years has seen it go from this:

to this:

Thanks all

Befuddled.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,402
    Glad it all helped. Best of luck with the new home etc. 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Loribeth70Loribeth70 Missouri United StatesPosts: 3
    befuddled said:

Annual update as promised. Mine have just hit 3yrs since the initial cut. Around 9ft now and still in growing season (ground level is 1ft below the wooden loglap panelling). That's around 2ft per year by my reckoning. Now giving me the screening I wanted. 3yr old pic included for reference for anyone finding this thread.

Loving it!

WOW!

i forgot to post a picture of Frank after the defoliation. Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic before that.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,314
    Is that a laurel @Loribeth70? Or was it? I'm slightly confused by your post.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Yes, is. Lol 
    It's an English Laurel. I was just reaffirming what all of you said.
    Regardless of your desired end results, if you cut it, it will grow back 2 or three fold.
    I can't wait to see what Frank has in store. Even though he looks sad and pathetic now, in 3-4 weeks I'm sure to have many buds to work with.
    The other 2 in the pot have more branches to work with, this one only lost 2 that were farther down, but I felt sorry for the guy so I'm making him a special project.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    I'll let you know how it works out. 
  • mark447mark447 Posts: 1
    Love this thread - it's the first I've seen that really talks about dealing with a laurel hedge.  I'm in the US, California, dealing with Carolina Cherry Laurel.  I'm trying to figure out how to renew/refresh an OLD hedge.  I bought a house 6 months ago that had been owned by the same owner for 41 years.  She surrounded the backyard with a laurel hedge when the house was new - about half of which has been well maintained, though I'm working on getting a lot of trash trees cut out of it.  The other half was not well maintained - the lower 6' is very woody and bare, and you can see a line where it had originally been kept trimmed at around 7' tall - but from that point now, there are long 4-5' shoots reaching to the sky.  It doesn't help that this stretch is in the shade of a very large tree most of the day.  This is along a masonry wall that is about 5' tall, so in my ideal world, I would be able to somehow trim these down and rejuvenate them to be 7 or 8' total height or less- I'm just afraid the trunks are too large and woody.  Has anyone ever tried to rejuvenate a plant this poorly maintained?  Am i going to be better off ripping them all out and starting over?  I just hate to give up on what is likely a very established root system.  I know there are a few in there that are obviously dead, but seeing those big shoots out of the top makes me think there might be hope.