Forum home The potting shed

Spiders

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,441
    I always feel sorry for the males @philippa smith2[ spiders that is  ;) ] just coming in to get used and abused then off somewhere to die all alone in a corner, while the laydees snuggle up safely undercover all the time.... :D

Nice to have a proper name to  put to them too @wild edges , although, no doubt I'll forget that and resort to calling them house spiders within ten minutes  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 14,763
    Don't the females starve to death whilst guarding the eggs? It's a hard life being a spider😕
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    I think they last a bit longer than that @B3 - hopefully anyway- poor things eh?  ;)
    We need to ask @wild edges- although I think he mentioned on the previous page that they can keep their webs for several years. I expect it varies though. 

Haven't seen any for a while, now I come to think of it. Maybe I should empty that understair cupboard....

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,434
    The females have a funnel web so they rely on their food coming to them for the most part. I'm sure randy male spider make up some of their diet too.
  • Unlike politics, or so it would appear anyway, the females of the natural world do often seem to have the odds stacked in their favour - tho they usually do all the hard work and so should be entitled to a bit of compensation eg eating their partner .
    Can you imagine an animal version of Social Media ?  The Tweets, the Likes, the fake news items ?
    Wonder what the animal versions of Trump, BoJo, Farrage etc, would look like ;)  Now there's a vision to go to bed on.
    Well a male spider is only really likely to mate once and his genes are then tied up with that female surviving so sacrificing himself for food is probably a good evolutionary tactic. Given the work involved in raising human children it does seem like a better life sometimes... :#
  • Be careful what you wish for Wild edges - you are a useful source of info/advice - don't want you getting eaten ;)
    Don't worry. Even when my wife was pregnant and ate everything else in the house I still managed to evade capture. I'm sneakier than I look. o:)
    Don't worry. Even when my wife was pregnant and ate everything else in the house I still managed to evade capture. I'm sneakier than I look. o:)
     :D 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,992
    So that’s where my other pink gardening glove is! 😲
    😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh