Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pieris dying?

I have had both these plants for 12-18 months but the top one has always struggled to keep alive despite being planted in the same ericaceous soil and fed in the same way. Whilst we were away a few weeks ago, we returned to see it looking as though it had died. Can anyone please advise what can be done, if anything, to revive it.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039
    Sorry that is dead.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    Yes, bad luck. Going away is always a risk, isn't it! They are sensitive plants and don't do well with too little water or too much; too little sun or too much.... I have found they are happier planted in the soil, rather than containers, but others may tell of their success.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,566
    The first one doesn't look promising 😕. Try gently scraping off a bit of bark to see if it's green and moist underneath. If it's brown/beige and dry, keep trying lower down. If it's dry under the bark all the way down the I'm afraid it's a goner. If you are a real optimist you could hang onto it until spring just in case you get any new growth (put it somewhere where it won't get waterlogged), but I think it's unlikely.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,251
    Should have been planted in the soil.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    They're not the best shrubs for keeping in pots, unless you really attend to them well. The first one is dead. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,933
    Sorry for your loss, they are beautiful shrubs .

• madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543
    Have you checked the soil for Vine Weevil?
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Lynn142Lynn142 Posts: 128
    Oh dear, your feedback doesn’t give much hope although I have to agree its current state doesn’t look good! I will check for weevil and if there are any signs of green or moistness on the bark. Thanks for taking the time to reply. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    In my experience, Pieris aren't normally troubled by vine weevil, other than the occasional bit of damage to leaves by adults.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543
    Fairygirl said:
    In my experience, Pieris aren't normally troubled by vine weevil, other than the occasional bit of damage to leaves by adults.  :)
    Could you tell the weevils that please!!!!!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings