TRICK OR TREATERS

BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955

Trick or treaters do you give them treats or draw the curtains and ignore the door 

TRICK OR TREATERS 19 votes

Yes it's fantastic ☺😊
36%
Fishy65madpenguindebs64TheRicksterdappledshadeAstroWilderbeast 7 votes
No little sods I'm miserable
63%
Loraine3BobTheGardenerfidgetbonesKT53Singing GardenerPapi JoZenjeffAlan Clark2  in LiverpoolBig Blue SkyBrexiteerHexagonmrtjforman 12 votes

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,673
    edited 31 October
    Yes it's fantastic ☺😊
    I have treats already for tonight!
    Have lots of kids round,usually accompanied by their parents.
    Love the work that has gone into costumes and make-up etc.
    All round here are quite polite and all say Thank You.
    Maybe I am just lucky  :)
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    I have treats already for tonight!
    Have lots of kids round,usually accompanied by their parents.
    Love the work that has gone into costumes and make-up etc.
    All round here are quite polite and all say Thank You.
    Maybe I am just lucky  :)
    That's nice 😊 I'm between two houses at the moment. 1 in Tamworth where the local kids wonder around in wellies in the countryside and the other house on a housing estate in Birmingham where kids will brick your car without batting an eyelid 
  • I love trick or treat as long as it stays in the USA where it belongs.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 590
    I put up with it for the little ones who make a big effort, but get annoyed with hulking teenagers who do nothing but stick a paper mask on.  

This year I’ve decided to try to avoid the commercial aspect so (if it works when I try to make it this afternoon!) I’ll be handing out bags of orange coloured popcorn.  
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 214
    good luck with that Helix. I know parents have a bit of stigma around home-made halloween treats. They are happy to give their kids the latest coctail of synthetic chemical flavourings and sweeteners as long as it is from a supermarket, soon as it's home made from a stranger they get suspicious. Sounds like a brilliant cheap idea and no clue why I haven't seen it in shops before.

As you can probabably tell I am part of the grumpy camp although the trick or treaters never bother to come as far as my house. One reason to live out in the peace and quiet.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,299
    At night, I always answer the doorbell by opening an upstairs window.

If any of the local yoof are standing at the door I ask them what they want at such an hour.

If they shout “trick or treat?” I reply “trick” and throw the contents of the cat’s litter tray over them.

Their friends soon learn not to visit. Soiled granules down the back of the neck are not a cool look.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,224
    Yes it's fantastic ☺😊
    We have a tub of sweets here waiting and ready. I try to think of when I was that age  :)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,141
    Halloween and trick or treat are actually of Celtic origin @barry island but, as with most things "exported" with migrants to the USA it has taken on indecent proportions.  Think spaghetti with meatballs or deep pan pizza with Hawaian or other horror toppings or New York cheesecake which are all travesties of the original.

They used to do it in the village where Possum went to school in Belgium but it was organised.  There was a list of houses taking part and they all went to town with outside decs and lights and even sound effects.   Children had to be in groups accompanied by at least one parent and they had to be disguised.   The police sent a patrol car round to make sure the older yoofs didn't misbehave and there was a pumpkin soup supper afterwards in the school hall.  We lived too far out down a country road with no footpath so never "hosted".
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • They have a pre-Halloween tradition in Liverpool called "mischief night" yes I know what could possibly go wrong, well thousands of pounds worth of damage that's what, oh! the fun of it.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,583
    They have a pre-Halloween tradition in Liverpool called "mischief night" yes I know what could possibly go wrong, well thousands of pounds worth of damage that's what, oh! the fun of it.
    How can they tell the difference between "mischief night" and a normal night in Liverpool?