Bird feeder observation

• bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 224
    This is who is using my bird feeders 😕
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,863
    Mine have been safe on the washing line - so far😕
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 799
    Grease the pole to stop the squirrel climbing, stopped them climbing ours.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,023
    They can't get in my bird feeders. I can tell what they're thinking after watching them for a while, but I can't possibly repeat it here.... :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

edited October 2019
    There ar not many things more revolting than a couple of spider legs dangling from a cat's mouth.
    Its the crane fly daddylonglegs I was writing about but I haven't seen the spider ones either.
    Oops wrong thread😯
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,040
    B3 said:
    There ar not many things more revolting than a couple of spider legs dangling from a cat's mouth.
    Its the crane fly daddylonglegs I was writing about but I haven't seen the spider ones either.
    Oops wrong thread😯
    what about what's coming out of the other end of the cat? 
    Devon.
    We had a dog that ate a length of string once. It didn't come out in a ball😒
    Not about a feeder as such
    We have an acer and a rosa glauca growing very close together. While the sparrows are taking some interest in the hips, they seem more interested in next year's buds on the acer.
    Will more develop for next year?
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 806
    We had a brambling around the feeding area yesterday, which is the first time I've seen one. Surprised that I haven't seen them before as its the ideal habitat here. 
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 456
    My Spring project this year is I'm going to try building a hanging bird feeder down at our get-away cabin.  At first my husband was skeptical, but now that I have a plan, he thinks it just might work for me.  We have lots of American Cardinals down there that nest in and feed on our Yaupon Holly bushes and berries.  When we bought the place I found a cylindrical metal screen mesh in the barn with a contiguous bottom that I think came off a chimney top somewhere.  It's about 10" in diameter.  Clearly there is a screen top sitting on the cabin fireplace, so this was another one or was being used for something else.  Plan to slide a large piece of 6" PVC pipe inside (cut to length) to force the sunflower seeds (cardinals' favorites) and bits of suet to the outer edges of the cylinder.  The cardinals should be able to grab the mesh and eat from the cylinder vertically.  At least that is my hope.  I found a cheap metal ceiling light shade at a rummage sale for a lid.  My husband is going to drill 2 small holes into two sides so I can wire it on top for a lid to 1) hopefully keep squirrels out and 2) allow seed replenishing with ease.  We don't see many squirrels down there because of a preponderance of hawks all day long.  I'm hoping with the entire apparatus swinging from the tree limb outside our dining room seating area,  any squirrel cheeky enough will slide off, as it is quite sloped and painted slick on surface.  I may rig up a sort of metal pie tin base so those feathered friends that prefer to eat standing can do so.  I'll be sure to post a photo of the finished project when I get around to making/finishing it. 
    My low-carb recipe site:www.buttoni.wordpress.com