Forum home Plants

Orchids!

I need to repot my orchids, I keep seeing people on a certain website complaining about mites in the bags so I was wondering what brands people would recommend?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,663
    Hiya @Steve the Gardening Vet  Good yo see you 😊 
    I used whatever it was the local Notcutts gardening centre sold me. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Reviews are really varied! Phalaenopsis apparently need big chunky bark bits.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,663
    That’s the sort of stuff Notcutt’s sold me ... i can’t remember whether it was their own brand or .... 🤷‍♀️
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,909
    @Hostafan1 is an expert on orchids, he has loads of them. Maybe he can help you Steve. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,399
    I repotted my one remainig orchid with added chipped bark from a pile we ordered for mulch in the  garden.   I fill the pot with water once a week and let it sit for half an hour then drain it and spray the roots with an orchid food spray.

I should point out that before doing this I gave up on 3 others and binned them so this is a lone survivor and I only found the orchid feed spray 2 months ago.  It has since put on 3 new leaves and is looking OK.   If it hasn't produced a flower spike in 6 months it too will end up in the compost bin.  It has been warned.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Obelixx said:
    I repotted my one remainig orchid with added chipped bark from a pile we ordered for mulch in the  garden.   I fill the pot with water once a week and let it sit for half an hour then drain it and spray the roots with an orchid food spray.

I should point out that before doing this I gave up on 3 others and binned them so this is a lone survivor and I only found the orchid feed spray 2 months ago.  It has since put on 3 new leaves and is looking OK.   If it hasn't produced a flower spike in 6 months it too will end up in the compost bin.  It has been warned.

Mine have always been quite good, I just had to ditch all the medium due to mealy bugs and need to replace it.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,399
    Mine were fine on a north facing windowsill in the Belgian house and reflowered every year but they haven't liked it here and sulked.   This is a present, received here, and lives in our shower room with east and west facing windows but below them so plenty of light but no direct sun.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,461
    Lyn said:
    @Hostafan1 is an expert on orchids, he has loads of them. Maybe he can help you Steve. 
    half right @Lyn, I've got lots of them , but I'm no expert. 
    Have to say though, I've never repotted them except when one became very lopsided and kept falling  over. 
    Lovely to see you again @Steve the Gardening Vet,  you visit all too rarely. I hope you're both well. 
    How's your lovely garden room now?
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,667
    I know zip about orchids - but I'll echo @Hostafan1's greeting and the query about the garden room.
    We need some nice new photos @Steve the Gardening Vet :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I've come up with a solution. Buy something that I can feel consists of decent sized bits of bark but autoclave them at work before use to ensure no creatures persist within!