Right time to plant pansies and primulas outside

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,043
    I know only too well the constant moving house scenario, and the desire to have something attractive in a rented house too  :)
    We have a seed swap thread on the forum [I'll see if I can find the link] and you'll find plenty of people who will happily send you all sorts of things. All very enjoyable  :)

Here you go - there's quite a few pages though  ;)
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1024241/seed-swap-and-plant-sharing-2019/p1
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• But, Fairygirl, I have nothing to swap... except for loads of dead wood and weeds, and I am securing wildlife protection with the dead wood, so the only thing left are the weeds :(
    Don't worry- you don't have to have anything to swap in return for seeds Sandra  :)

Some of your weeds will also be beneficial to your wildlife too  ;)

• Fairygirl, so true, the important is to achieve a balance and provide food, water and shelter for all species. 
    Absolutely Sandra. Most of us here try to do that as well as we can   :)

• Fairygirl, I could see that by all the posts that I have read, looking for advice, this is a great forum full of people passionate about nature!
    I have many hours of happy reading here :smiley:
  • Sandra A - it sounds from your posts as if you are already well on the way - well done you  :):)
    Good stuff Sandra  :)

• David Matthews2David Matthews2 Posts: 486
    edited October 2019
    @Sandra A: Message me once you have an idea which flowers & veggies will 'do' in your Northern rescue garden - I have 'spare' seed packets [unopened] that may help pad things out a bit. Good luck with recovery & gardening too!
  • @Sandra A: Message me once you have an idea which flowers will 'do' in your rescue garden - I have 'spare' seed packets [unopened] that may help pad things out a bit. Good luck with recovery & gardening too!
    Thank you, David, I have asked for some Crocosmia seeds and I have planted them in a box, in a couple of weeks they were already going for it (see photo)! I have some sweetpeas seeds and some Cosmos 'Gloria' seeds, and I have collected seeds from a Kniphofia which have germinated also in two weeks. I have collected a couple of cuttings from a Fuchsia and I have a couple of hydrangeas, one big and 3 cuttings already with good roots. I have an extensive area of shade, I am slowly and painfully sawing branches of entangled trees to create a nice border with around 4 or 5 metres, which I plan to fill with flowers. I have a few shrubs in pots, incredibly angry because I left them for a year without TLC so any seed packs and information will be most welcome.