Forum home Problem solving

Plant left for dead-ID please!

HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 327
Rescued this shrub. I plan to nurse it back to full health, but have no idea what it is. Seems like one that is kept indoors for Christmas decorating. Anyone have any ideas?
It is only 10" tall.

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Conifer tree
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,413
    One of the conifers.  Not a house plant but not all are hardy below -20C in my experience either.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 327
    @Obelixx I suspect it's a zone 7-10, and probably a dwarf. Any tips on overwintering indoors?
    Keep it cool and light, not centrally heated.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    As far as I can tell, I think the conifer is Juniperus communis ‘Miniature’
    All the juniperus communis forms listed on the RHS site are said to be hardy down to -20C so i don't think it's going to enjoy being indoors.   Find it a sheltered spot outside and make sure its pot doesn't freeze solid over winter.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/9557/Juniperus-communis/Details
    Thank you Obelixx. I put it into a terra cotta. If I sink the pot in my raised raspberry patch bed, it should get enough shelter.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,745
    It should be fine outdoors @HouseFinch, but if it's small, and it's been inside [and bearing in mind the kind of winters you get] a bit of protection will help.
    Snow is fine, as it insulates, but it's freezing after getting wet that's the problem. 

If you get it outdoors now, it should be toughened up enough  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thank you @Fairygirl It sounds like a tough plant. It was only indoors for a couple hours, so hopefully it cheers up outside.