‚Äļ

MushroomsūüćĄ 2019

Ante30Ante30 Senj, CroatiaPosts: 688
Hello to all. 
It's time of year when mushrooms ruling in our woods. I love gather them and also photograph every one which I find. Here is still warm and rainy, perfect weather condition for them. 
Do you also gather mushrooms? I would like to see which varieties growing in UK.

Here is few photos from my ares.

¬ę13456789

• ChivetalkingChivetalking Leigh-on-seaPosts: 989
    Hello Ante, I photographed some honey fungus recently that caught my eye,

They do have a beauty to them, but I wouldn’t know which wild ones to gather. As a child I lived near a mushroom farm and we would go and pick our own. 
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    I've never picked them as I'm unsure which ones are edible 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,992
    Lovely photos @Ante30. :)
    I spotted some lovely ones recently but didn't have my camera with me. I've got a nice crop at the back of the shed where I've been working. I can't really get in properly to get a pic, but they're very similar to the ones in your 5th photo. 
    I always have my camera on 'proper' walks, and I like getting some mushroom pix if I can  :)

Despite the negativity of honey fungus, it's a stunning looking growth @Chivetalking :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Fairygirl said:
    Lovely photos @Ante30. :)
    I spotted some lovely ones recently but didn't have my camera with me. I've got a nice crop at the back of the shed where I've been working. I can't really get in properly to get a pic, but they're very similar to the ones in your 5th photo. 
    I always have my camera on 'proper' walks, and I like getting some mushroom pix if I can  :)

Despite the negativity of honey fungus, it's a stunning looking growth @Chivetalking :)

Nice pictures 
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 963
    Some edible, some not :)

• Ante30 - thanks for starting this thread - congrats to everyone for some really stunning pics.
    An excellent antidote to the many queries at this time of year asking how to get rid of them :):)
  • Ante30Ante30 Senj, CroatiaPosts: 688
    edited 19 October
    Nice pohotos @Fairygirl. On your first photo is an edible bolete.

@steephill, those are fabulous photos. The last one is Amanita pantherina, poisonous,  the same species like fly agaric.

Thanks @philippa smith2. Mushrooms are extremely important for biosphere, so pretty and delicious.

I try to grow my own oyster mushrooms and here is the first results.  I should have first harvest in ten days. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,992
    Thanks for that info @Ante30. I know absolutely zero about them, but I enjoy getting pix when I can. That was in Glen Feshie, in the western Cairngorms, en route to a hill there. 
    Enjoy your feast when it's ready  :)
    Love your photos too @steephill. As long as you know which ones you can eat - it's ok!
    I suppose we all have a standardised idea of what they look like too, so it'snice to see all the different types. 
    I might try and get a pic of the big ones behind my shed now.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Fairygirl said:
    Thanks for that info @Ante30. I know absolutely zero about them, but I enjoy getting pix when I can. That was in Glen Feshie, in the western Cairngorms, en route to a hill there. 
    Enjoy your feast when it's ready  :)
    Love your photos too @steephill. As long as you know which ones you can eat - it's ok!
    I suppose we all have a standardised idea of what they look like too, so it'snice to see all the different types. 
    I might try and get a pic of the big ones behind my shed now.  :)
    That would be nice. We had some big ones overnight in the border the next morning they were mainly gone. I wouldn't have touched them anyway just in case 
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 963
    I've eaten a fair variety of wild mushrooms - ceps, chanterelles, wood blewits, parasols, hedgehog fungus, cauliflower fungus, waxcaps and giant puffballs. The latest on my list was clouded agaric which is sometimes listed as poisonous as it causes stomach upsets in about 20% of the population.

However my advice is not to eat any mushroom unless you are absolutely certain of its identification, preferably from an expert mycologist. Identification isn't easy in most cases and mistakes can be lethal. The names of some fungi were given for good reason - death cap, destroying angel, funeral bell etc. Sometimes the name doesn't do its lethal potential justice though - brown roll rim for example sounds innocuous enough but it is deadly. Also don't listen to any old wives tales about which as safe to eat - such as "if animals eat it you're OK" - not true.